Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Question from an extreme Newby

Lathe Question from an extreme Newby

The LOML has given me permission to get a Lathe and the accessories to go along with it. My knowledge of wood turning is almost null and have NEVER operated one. Again, my knowledge is from what I have seen here and A few videos from youtube. The Lathe itself will see light work, Chair legs, etc.

Any unit or kit that anyone would recommend?

Your responses are appreciated indeed.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    well thats a loaded question. Any idea on budget,Are you talking new or used.
    There are some real good deal that come up on Craigs list. If you want new then you could get a Jet mini or a Rikon like mine and just buy bed extender for the long pieces or you could go for broke and get a big ole Mustard 3520 like Vaughns got or anywhere in between. It realy depends, most start out small and end up up grading at some time in the future.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I was going to suggest you go up to Jax to Woodcraft and ask for a demo, but I just googled for directions and see that it is about 2 hours away.

Try to find a turning club in your area that would have a meeting with some demonstrations to get a better feel for what all is involved. Also have a few areas that you are interested in (such as you mention of table legs) that you might ask some of the members for their recommendations of lathes and tools that would best suit your needs.

Good luck, and make you first purchase a good face shield!
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

I would suggest not only asking for a demo, sign up for lessons. After having tried it on their equipment, you will know if you have the nack for more, or how much lathe you want. Shop for theirs or start the Craigs List search.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. Budget and shop space are also factors.

Thanks guys

I'll echo the good advice you've gotten so far. Getting a bit of hands-on experience and input from other turners will be very beneficial. (Plus a turning club is sometimes a good place to find deals on equipment.) Also be aware that for most of us, the lathe purchase is just the tip of the iceberg. Then there's tools, safety equipment, tools, grinder, tools, sharpening jig, tools, a chuck, tools, sanding supplies, tools, and tools. On the plus side of this, if you're like a lot of us and you get hooked on turning, then your flatwork expenses will go way down.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Frankly....I am the only authentic Newby on this forum. And I have genealogical data back to about 1655 to verify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'll echo the good advice you've gotten so far. Getting a bit of hands-on experience and input from other turners will be very beneficial. (Plus a turning club is sometimes a good place to find deals on equipment.) Also be aware that for most of us, the lathe purchase is just the tip of the iceberg. Then there's tools, safety equipment, tools, grinder, tools, sharpening jig, tools, a chuck, tools, sanding supplies, tools, and tools. On the plus side of this, if you're like a lot of us and you get hooked on turning, then your flatwork expenses will go way down.
    And Vaughn forgot to include to budget for more TOOLS!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    Frankly....I am the only authentic Newby on this forum. And I have genealogical data back to about 1655 to verify it.

Now that's funny stuff.

Although to Dom's credit, he did say extreme Newby. I'm guessing an extreme Newby is a lot like an authentic Newby, just more into skateboard and bicycle stunts...X-Games style. Drinking a lot of Red Bull and Mountain Dew along the way, of course.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Don't forget to mention the tools.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire