Lathe Question from an extreme Newby

My Experience

Hi,

I purchased a very nice used Rockler / Delta woodlathe from one of our members (Dan Gonzales). It looks like new. It works fine. However, the low speed is something like 800 RPM. $250 mounted on original bench.

I messed around and spent a couple hundred dollars in lathe updates. However, I kept finding that the low speed was way too high. I did/do not like changing the belt to change speeds. I made a dohinkie to make changing the belt much easier and I still do not like to do it.

Soooo being of unsound mind I spent $800 for a new lathe with variable speed. I really like the variable speed and I really like the low speed of approximately 150 RPM. The new lathe will not turn a bowl as large as the old. The new is rated at a higher horse power (however, the old one feels more robust).

The reason I said, "unsound mind" is that, after spending the money for the new lathe, I purchased a woodturning DVD. The DVD showed how I could convert the old lathe to variable speed (Zero RPM up to nearly 2000) and it would only cost less than $20 to do it. It also incorporated "Emergency Stop."

Anyway I sort of put myself on the pointy end of a screw and turned the screwdriver because now I have two lathes. I have had requests for the "How To make the variable speed gizmo" so I made a drawing on how to do it. If you want a copy, PM me. It should work on most lathes.

Because of tight room (and to help pay for the new lathe) I am going to sell the first lathe and a couple other power tools. We will see how that works out.

My expenses other than on the lathe itself: I spent about $80 for Harbor Freights "Best" woodworking tool set. It seems to be a good, inexpensive way to start. I didn't want to learn woodturning tool sharpening on $150 tools. I spent a little over $200 for a chuck...roughly $80 for Sorby Tail center set. I already owned a home made Wolverine type sharpener (this works acceptably well). Glenn, my son, sprung for a Jet Slow Speed Sharpener for me as a surprise gift. And that is the money spent so far.

I hope that gives you some idea of initial expenses encountered by one turning newbie.

Enjoy---and pardon the ramble,

Jim

Last edited:
Dom i made the leap last year and picked up the Nova DVRXP on sale and joined a local turning guild. I had not turned since high school but it is like riding a bike only the new bike is alot safer. lots of advice here and turning is fun and yes it can be addictiting (dispite what Larry will tell you as he secretly wants to turn but just won't admit it :rofl:). You will never look at the movie avitar the same again:rofl: It can cost a bit to get started even with an inexpensive lathe. If there is a turning club that you can join they will have a world of advice for you and lots of ideas. I am 49 and one of the youngest members of our guild and it seems that most of the members started about the same age. Have fun sunday.

Dom,

Like most of the rest said, consider taking a class at a local woodworking store. This will give you some experience with one or more kinds of lathes and tools. Plus it will give you the chance to ask questions of the instructor as they come up. I have found this to be very helpful in the classes I have taken.

As far as the lathes, bench top lathes are very popular and you can do quite a bit with them. The limitation is how long of a spindle you can turn and how wide of a bowl/platter you can turn (diameter). The measure that is used for length is referred to as "between centers". This could be increased by adding an extension bed. Jet & Rikon have these for sure. Some others probably do too. The measure of how wide of a bowl you can turn is referred to as the "swing" over the bed. This works like the measure on a drill press. From the center of the drive spur on the headstock almost to the bed times 2 is the max diameter of your bowls.

Also the terms "Bench Top Lathe", "Midi-Lathe", and "Mini-Lathe" are frequently used interchangeably. What one manufacturer might call a midi lathe, another might call a mini lathe.

When it comes to turning there are almost an endless number of tools and accessories that are out there. Ask around, I'm sure you will get some good advice.:wave:

Okay...I am back to report on my meeting with Bill, the older lathe guy. He went over everything. He even came over and looked at my work, the beds, the bookcases, the frames, etc. He really said I have some talent, but was very honest with me. He asked me to write down tonight items that I would use in Furniture construction and see if it worth the cost. he does not think it is worth the investment for me. This guy has 2 lathes, one he might part with. I got homework to do, so talk to y'all tomorrow

Dom,

Just a something else to consider....

in relation to turning and furniture, to be able to duplicate parts (legs or spindles for example) by hand takes a lot of practice, unless you have a natural gift for turning. It isn't quite as easy as Norm makes it look on TV. I am speaking from experience.

An option is a lathe duplicator. However the good ones tend to be expensive an don't always duplicate all the fine details. Even with a duplicator you will still have to do some fine work by hand, in addition to the sanding of each piece.

Dom,
I look on a lathe differently then many on here. I have one and find it quite useful. I have turned bowls and boxes but thats not the main reason why I have a lathe in the shop. I use it as a tool like any other tool in my shop. I have a router, a band saw table saw etc etc but the lathe is unique in that it is the one tool designed to make square wood round and it does a good job of that. To me it is an essential part of my shop but not the main tool.

Okay...I am back to report on my meeting with Bill, the older lathe guy. He went over everything. He even came over and looked at my work, the beds, the bookcases, the frames, etc. He really said I have some talent, but was very honest with me. He asked me to write down tonight items that I would use in Furniture construction and see if it worth the cost. he does not think it is worth the investment for me. This guy has 2 lathes, one he might part with. I got homework to do, so talk to y'all tomorrow

There are a lot of things you can make with a lathe. I got one about 5 months ago and really like it. I use it for the time in between flat projects.

However, turning sucks the money right out of your wallet. I probably have $2300 into the turning thing, $1650 for the lathe.

I really think by next year at this time, I have some stuff to sell, if anyone will buy it. So far, I have made some salt and pepper shakers, a couple of bonkers, 4 completed bowls, (16 roughed out right now) and a spindle for a chair for one of my coworkers. I have one platter roughed out also.

It is a lot of fun. Once my present flat work project is complete, I will continue turning until the next flatwork project comes along.