Thread: Grr-Ripper and MJ Splitter

Grr-Ripper and MJ Splitter

While working just now I happened to use the Grr-Ripper and noticed that this was a cut I would have done differently without one. I also happen to use the MJ Splitter. Just a reminder that whatever the splitter and push block of your choice; use 'em and use 'em well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MJ Splitter and Grr-Ripper 002.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Yeah Glenn thats the most used tool in my shop. I am wanting a couple more, they are a bit pricy but what price are your hands worth.
    cheers

I've got a Grr-Ripper and it's my go to push stick/block. The only problem I've had is user error. I've cut a couple nice saw kerfs through the base when I'd get it turned the wrong direction and run it through the blade, dang it! I've made cuts using it that I wouldn't ever consider otherwise. I'd also like to have a couple more.

I have two Grrippers, and use them a lot.

Tried the splitter, broke it in about ten minutes of use, and never looked at them again. I got a Biesemeyer splitter, instead.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I've also got both the Grr-Rippers and the MJ splitters. The Grr-Rippers have changed my whole outlook on ripping lumber, especially thin strips like I've used a lot in cutting boards. Glenn, I notice you have a thin green outer piece on yours. It looks like it's about 1/8" wide...is it a new offering? Mine had the 1/4" wide "skinny side", but it's 1/8" now...from cutting 1/8" wide strips. Anything thinner than 1/8" is cut on the "waste" side of the blade, and I use the Incra fence to increment each cut.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've also got both the Grr-Rippers and the MJ splitters. The Grr-Rippers have changed my whole outlook on ripping lumber, especially thin strips like I've used a lot in cutting boards. Glenn, I notice you have a thin green outer piece on yours. It looks like it's about 1/8" wide...is it a new offering? Mine had the 1/4" wide "skinny side", but it's 1/8" now...from cutting 1/8" wide strips. Anything thinner than 1/8" is cut on the "waste" side of the blade, and I use the Incra fence to increment each cut.
    I picked up the 1/8" side about a year ago at the show. Peachtree and others are now offering it. I also notice Peachtree has the model 200 Advanced for $42 . . . yes I got it right this time . . . PEACHTREE.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I have two Grrippers, and use them a lot.

Tried the splitter, broke it in about ten minutes of use, and never looked at them again. I got a Biesemeyer splitter, instead.
    I imagine it has to do with what you do as we're all different. I bought a set of spares but have yet to break one in 3 or 4 years. I put the spares in other ZCI's so they're ready to go.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

still havnt used a gripper but do use the splitter and like jim mentioned i have ate one up, but i have gotten alot use out them so far..only used two in 4 years plus. next time i am somewhere that someone use them grippers remind me to see the advantages of one??/
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Last edited by John Bartley; 11-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.