Grr-Ripper and MJ Splitter

glenn bradley

While working just now I happened to use the Grr-Ripper and noticed that this was a cut I would have done differently without one. I also happen to use the MJ Splitter. Just a reminder that whatever the splitter and push block of your choice; use 'em and use 'em well.

Attachments

• MJ Splitter and Grr-Ripper 002.jpg
    MJ Splitter and Grr-Ripper 002.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 101
I've got a Grr-Ripper and it's my go to push stick/block. The only problem I've had is user error. I've cut a couple nice saw kerfs through the base when I'd get it turned the wrong direction and run it through the blade, dang it!:eek: I've made cuts using it that I wouldn't ever consider otherwise. I'd also like to have a couple more.

I have two Grrippers, and use them a lot.

Tried the splitter, broke it in about ten minutes of use, and never looked at them again. I got a Biesemeyer splitter, instead.

I've also got both the Grr-Rippers and the MJ splitters. The Grr-Rippers have changed my whole outlook on ripping lumber, especially thin strips like I've used a lot in cutting boards. Glenn, I notice you have a thin green outer piece on yours. It looks like it's about 1/8" wide...is it a new offering? Mine had the 1/4" wide "skinny side", but it's 1/8" now...from cutting 1/8" wide strips. ;) Anything thinner than 1/8" is cut on the "waste" side of the blade, and I use the Incra fence to increment each cut.

I've also got both the Grr-Rippers and the MJ splitters. The Grr-Rippers have changed my whole outlook on ripping lumber, especially thin strips like I've used a lot in cutting boards. Glenn, I notice you have a thin green outer piece on yours. It looks like it's about 1/8" wide...is it a new offering? Mine had the 1/4" wide "skinny side", but it's 1/8" now...from cutting 1/8" wide strips. ;) Anything thinner than 1/8" is cut on the "waste" side of the blade, and I use the Incra fence to increment each cut.

I picked up the 1/8" side about a year ago at the show. Peachtree and others are now offering it. I also notice Peachtree has the model 200 Advanced for $42 . . . yes I got it right this time . . . PEACHTREE. :D

I have two Grrippers, and use them a lot.

Tried the splitter, broke it in about ten minutes of use, and never looked at them again. I got a Biesemeyer splitter, instead.

I imagine it has to do with what you do as we're all different. I bought a set of spares but have yet to break one in 3 or 4 years. I put the spares in other ZCI's so they're ready to go.

still havnt used a gripper but do use the splitter and like jim mentioned i have ate one up, but i have gotten alot use out them so far..only used two in 4 years plus. next time i am somewhere that someone use them grippers remind me to see the advantages of one??/