Thread: Cook'n with Gas

Cook'n with Gas

I've never had gas appliances before, but that's what she's wanting for the new house. Luckily the gas meter is right outside the kitchen where the stove is, so running a new line (if not already there) should be a breeze. I'll need to cut in a vent for the over-the-range microwave (300 cmf vent), but after some searching on-line in the installation manuals, I'm not seeing that the gas range/oven needs any venting ran to it?

Is this correct? Does all venting get done by the vent on the microwave/hood?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That is it. Just make sure your hood vent actually extends to the outside of the house and not just stuck up into the attic.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

no venting on the stove is required.
    Consider an electric oven and a gas top. gas is better for cooking but electric is better for baking.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Consider an electric oven and a gas top. gas is better for cooking but electric is better for baking.
    +1 on the Gas Cooktop/Electric Oven!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

++1 On that! It's what I have. Love it.

Not that I am a cook or anything,

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    +1 on the Gas Cooktop/Electric Oven!
    +2 gas top electric oven. I would always have a vented hood over a gas top though. Gas reaches temps on cookware higher and faster then electric. Just my 2 cents

A vent may not be required for a gas range, but you have to ask yourself if a practice needs to be mandated to be viable and desirable.

From the EPA (Preventing problems in indoor air quality):

"All kitchens should have exhaust ventilation to remove odors and excess moisture associated with cooking. While there are various ventilation strategies for kitchens, a range hood is the most common. When using a gas range, a range hood directly vented to the outside should be used to capture the combustion products. These range hoods should be sized correctly. For a typical kitchen range the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) and the Home Ventilation Institute (HVI) recommend 100 cfm. Larger fans may need to have makeup air provided to avoid excessively depressurizing the house, causing backdrafting or other problems."

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/homes/hip-com...e%20hood%20fan
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Hey thanks guys.

Yes, do plan to install the vents to the outside.

I'll check into the dual fuel ranges, but the few I saw at the store were pushing us outside our budget. We have to buy a fridge, dishwasher, range, microwave, washer, and dryer. The wall type ovens alone are more than we planned to spend for the range, so I doubt we'll go the separate cooktop/wall oven direction. Will also depend on if LG makes one, since that is what she's decided on for the rest of the appliances.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault