Cook'n with Gas

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had gas appliances before, but that's what she's wanting for the new house. Luckily the gas meter is right outside the kitchen where the stove is, so running a new line (if not already there) should be a breeze. I'll need to cut in a vent for the over-the-range microwave (300 cmf vent), but after some searching on-line in the installation manuals, I'm not seeing that the gas range/oven needs any venting ran to it?

Is this correct? Does all venting get done by the vent on the microwave/hood?

A vent may not be required for a gas range, but you have to ask yourself if a practice needs to be mandated to be viable and desirable.

From the EPA (Preventing problems in indoor air quality):

"All kitchens should have exhaust ventilation to remove odors and excess moisture associated with cooking. While there are various ventilation strategies for kitchens, a range hood is the most common. When using a gas range, a range hood directly vented to the outside should be used to capture the combustion products. These range hoods should be sized correctly. For a typical kitchen range the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) and the Home Ventilation Institute (HVI) recommend 100 cfm. Larger fans may need to have makeup air provided to avoid excessively depressurizing the house, causing backdrafting or other problems."

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/homes/hip-combustion.html#Use a properly sized range hood fan

Hey thanks guys. :thumb:

Yes, do plan to install the vents to the outside.

I'll check into the dual fuel ranges, but the few I saw at the store were pushing us outside our budget. We have to buy a fridge, dishwasher, range, microwave, washer, and dryer. The wall type ovens alone are more than we planned to spend for the range, so I doubt we'll go the separate cooktop/wall oven direction. Will also depend on if LG makes one, since that is what she's decided on for the rest of the appliances.