Anyone used concealed barrel hinges?

Rob Keeble

Has anyone got experience with concealed barrel hinges?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=64335&cat=3,41241,41265

I would like to know how much wood one should have either side of the hole.

Then if these were used on a flat top say 16 x22 where the top is split at 8 inches and the length of flatwood that is now 8x22 were attached to the other half using the concealed barrel hinges would they hold up when the lid is lifted.

I am wanting to try something new. Not sure if these work well when in a horizontal plane as opposed to vertical.

I have seen them used in a sectional folding door on say the opening of a recessed niche.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Not sure what hinges you're talking about, but I've used the half inch (12mm, actually) Soss hinges in ¾" material several times, with good results.

YMMV

I have used a lot of the 1/2" barrel hinge's on 3/4" wood and they hold up just fine. They were used on small desks that that were about 3' long and 22" wide and hinged in the middle. It was built kind of like a piano lid and folded back on it self and was 6" tall with a pull out writing shelf and cubby holes.

Wish I had some picture of it as it was a cool little desk but they are all prints and I have no way to upload them. :dunno:

Jay

I have used several different sizes of barrel hinges and the size you should use is determined by the thickness of the wood you want to mount them in.

The 3/8" barrel hinges are supposed to go in 1/2" wood and the 1/2" hinges are for 3/4"

Soss hinges are the quality alternative but require precise routing/chiseling and drilling of a mortise and they are more expensive.

I used to use a lot of both types of these hinges on my jewelry boxes when customers did not want the hardware to show. The biggest problem with both is that you will need a lid stay or jack chains to prevent the lid from falling too far backward when open.

I've used the barrel hinges and really like using them.

I like to drill the holes in the sides (at least a pilot or guide hole) which should be deep enough to have the hole on both sides of the lid one it's cut from the box, then glue the top on. Once the top is on, cut the lid from the box and you'll have both hole lined up either to drill for the correct size and final depth.

I've used the barrel hinges and really like using them.

I like to drill the holes in the sides (at least a pilot or guide hole) which should be deep enough to have the hole on both sides of the lid one it's cut from the box, then glue the top on. Once the top is on, cut the lid from the box and you'll have both hole lined up either to drill for the correct size and final depth.

I have done it this way with a great deal of success. But with a larger piece, I have also Drilled one edge, then placed doweling centers in the holes and aligned and pressed together the two pieces making alignment points for the mating side.

Thank you all very much for the input. I think they would work for my application but i will go with another type now that will hold up my half lid better and add some external decoration.

Any comments on these butlers tray hinges. They seem to have a flat spring underneath to hold the hinge up.