How I file a Rip saw

For friends and family. A few days ago some members of the family requested a photo tutorial on saw filing. I had reservations due to the fact that, while I consider myself a fairly competent saw sharpener, I don't get paid to do this. Everything I know about saws I learned from books, the Internet or hands on experience. If you are looking for a much more thorough and technical discussion of the fine art of saw filing, please, let me recommend you check out these web pages.

* http://www.wkfinetools.com/tCare/toolCare-index.aspx
* http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/sawjig/
* http://www.vintagesaws.com/cgi-bin/frameset.cgi?left=sawcare&right=/library/primer/sharp.html
* http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodD...ow_To_pages/Smalser_on_SharpeningHandsaws.htm
* http://norsewoodsmith.com/content/sharpening-hand-saws

In addition to their saw filing information these sites have loads of goodies for galoots. It is my hope that my tutorial will remove some of the mystery surrounding this topic and give people the confidence to file their saws. One last thing before we begin. With the exception of the files you will see I have no money invested in any of my equipment. All of my tools and saws were given to me. Oh wait! I did pay $8.00 for my light (gloat). The saw in question is a 10" dovetail saw that I will be filing rip. And so lets go. First up tools.
1Files1.resized.jpg
2Files2.resized.jpg
3FileHandle.resized.jpg
4FileSize1.resized.jpg
5FileSize2.resized.jpg
6filebrush.resized.jpg
7Jointers1.resized.jpg
8Jointers2.resized.jpg
9sawvice.resized.jpg
10sharpie.resized.jpg

Last edited:
Lets do some shaping.
Before we start let me emphasize this is a rip saw and all filing is done straight across the saw plate. I am working on another tutorial for filing crosscut saws.
11sawplate1.resized.jpg

12sawplate2.resized.jpg

13jointing1.resized.jpg

14jointing2.resized.jpg

15jointing3.resized.jpg

16after jointing closeup.resized.jpg

17image26.resized.jpg

19Shaping1.resized.jpg

Last edited:
21Shaping3.resized.jpg

22Shaping4.resized.jpg

23finishing.resized1.jpg

24finishing2.resized1.jpg

25finishing3.resized1.jpg

26finishing4.resized1.jpg

27finished.resized.jpg

Addendum: In the previous "Improvement" thread I reversed myself when it came to setting the teeth. After testing this saw today I am going to reverse myself again. The saw cut very smooth in both cherry and hard maple without adding any set.

I enjoyed making this tutorial. It usually only takes about a half hour to file a saw. But this project occupied me for 2 days! I like that. I hope you do too.

So folks! Get your kit together and file some saws.:thumb:

Victor, thanks much for such a great tutorial. :clap: I can tell you put a lot of work into it, but the results were worth it. It'll help a lot of people in the years to come as reference material. :thumb: I've got at least one old beater saw that I could practice on. (Just need to make the time to do it.) :rolleyes:

BTW, I put a copy over in the Tips and Tutorial section. If ever there was a post that warranted being there, this is one of them. :D Thanks again.

Victor, thanks much for such a great tutorial. :clap: I can tell you put a lot of work into it, but the results were worth it. It'll help a lot of people in the years to come as reference material. :thumb: I've got at least one old beater saw that I could practice on. (Just need to make the time to do it.) :rolleyes:

BTW, I put a copy over in the Tips and Tutorial section. If ever there was a post that warranted being there, this is one of them. :D Thanks again.

thanks victor for showing us this and vaughn for moving it.. this is the first time i have seen the whole process and explantions on how and why.. very well done victor.:thumb::thumb:

Thank you Victor i am most grateful :bow:to you for showing me and anyone else interested a detailed blow by blow picture account of how to do it. I have read a bunch but not had the courage to give it ago.:eek:;) This is an excellent tutorial.

Now iI do.:):thumb: This was as if you had been standing next to me and showing me how. Thanks for all the effort. This weekend i will give it a go.:thumb:

Like Larry said its the first time i have seen it done with pictures step by step.

I think what was getting to me was the mixing up between a rip and crosscut teeth and angles etc. I have a couple of "learner" saws, picked up at a garage sale just for this purpose.

Thanks Vaughn for transfering it to tips.

Hey Ken now you have no excuse either.

Uh oh!:eek:
After letting this sink in a couple days, and some PMs from Rob, I see a couple of glaring omissions in my tutorial. I should have said that this saw is being filed rip and that the filing is done straight across the saw throughout the process.

For a crosscut saw you should file at an angle and hold the file differently.

I'm going to try to change the title of this thread in hopes that I can correct my omission. I also think I'll try another pictorial on crosscut saws.

Very sorry:eek:

Last edited:
Hi Steve, I set teeth just before the final passes across the saw (one pass in each direction). I do not have a sawset small enough for this saw and on page 152 of Leonard Lee's "The Complete Guide To Sharpening" I quote "Filed alternately, you will find that the amount of burr left from filing gives the blade adequate set". Of course he's referring to very fine teeth (25tpi) but it seems to work at 14tpi also. How long this saw will cut good remains to be seen.