Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GRReat!!

GRReat!!

I just got my GRR-Ripper GR-200 in the mail, first out of the box impression, WOW a well made, well thought out tool!

I really should have gotten one years ago!

My 76 year old Dad recently picked up a good used benchtop tablesaw, he cuts small pieces of hardwood and plywood for his RC airplane building, he used to go to his friends house to use his saw, but the friend has been busy and or not so healthy anymore, so Dad got a saw himself. I am honestly worried about him cutting a finger, so I suggested the GRR-Ripper, I told him how good it is. He asked me then "Why don't you have one?" Good ole Dad, cuts right to the chase, I had no good answer, so I ordered one for him and one for me from Lee Valley. I got mine today, and they were ordered on the same day, he has yet to get his
    It will be his birthday present, I'm sure it will serve him well, I also got the DVD which is great for putting it together etc.

I cannot recommend this little tool highly enough, it is that good!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Alright, another convert. On my saw, it's much better (and safer, IMHO) than the factory blade guard when ripping, especially small pieces. That's one of the reasons my guard is never on the saw.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks for the post now I will have to go and have a look at one tomorrow. I was just there tonight too. You know your in trouble when the staff know who you are by name.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

I'll check it out too. I don't use the blade guard either.
    I don't think that they are real expensive either.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Drew and Bob, you are welcome

I think it was $69.95 for the GR-200B model that I got, which is not expensive, I agree, and it really looks like it will work great!

I think I'll put a second one on my Christmas list

Well made too, has a very solid feel to it.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I took the sliding piece out of one of mine and sanded the channel just a bit with 400 grit. This made things move a bit easier as it tended to bind. The other one has had no problems. Just thought I would mention it, in case. These things really shine on small parts work but are handy for many, many things. I tweak the handle at a slight angle for a more comfortable grip.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-19-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: sp.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

The rockler store in salem, nh is having a 25% off day this saturday. looks like a good time to buy one
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Two upgrades you might consider:

1. The hardware kit for the handle that lets it fit on at an angle. Having the handle at an angle helps keep the Grripper firmly against the saw's fence; and

2. The 1/8" hold-down piece, for cutting very thin pieces without cutting the Gripper.

I have two Grippers, and have the handle device on both, and the 1/8" piece on one. Like 'em both.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Looks like I would need 2. Seems like most of the stuff I rip is 3' or more. Rockler has them at $59.00. Less 25%.
    Those add-ons sound tempting, but I think I'll try the standard one out first.

Last edited by Bob Gibson; 08-19-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

+1 on what Jim said about the add ons. I found that they are really worth the extra coin. The changing of the handle orientation such that your hand automatically pushes it towards the fence.

Nice of you to come in from the cold Stu. Now try the spitters.
    cheers