Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: might be a profitable use of scraps-a menorah

might be a profitable use of scraps-a menorah

A menorah is lit on hanukah, it has another name, but its a menorah.
    You may not be jewish, but I think this would be a great item for those of you that do shows before the holiday season.
    Cost next to nothing, I used 5/8 brass grommets(Noren's idea) for the candle cup holders, works perfectly. Drilled out the holes approx 1/2 inch down, using a 1/2 inch drill bit, the grommets fit snug, tapped them in with rubber mallet and crazy glue.
    I did not devote a ton of time to this one, as Im in the middle fighting with oak and ash attempting to make chair legs.
    I was more interested in getting some reactions from my jewish friends and seeing what they thought of it.
    My only mistake, was I should have curved the bottom cut instead of straight, but it was all done for time reasons.
    I used what I had laying around.
    Ill just oil and slap on a coat of poly or two.This is a simple menorah. Simple.

there are always 8 candles and one in the center a bit higher, you can read about a menorah anywhere online.
    I shot a pic of some of the menorahs we have in my home. There are no limits.
    I might make one with golf clubs for my BIL, since hes an avid golfer.
    Just stick to the 8 candles and one ninth one higher.
    LIne them up anyway.
    I looked online for menorahs, I was shocked at the prices they get for a piece of stainless steel with 9 holes drilled in it. 6000 dollars, 4000 dollars. they call it art.
    Well, this is my wood art.
    Ill clean up the next one a bit better, and say its worth at least 100 dollars, maybe 75 at a craft show.

This is not anyway related to religion. I want to share an idea I had tumbling around the rocks in my head.
    I believe the bowl makers and spinners can add their own "spin" to these and come up with beautiful pieces of work, and Im quite sure they are saleable at crafts shows.
    This post was posted only to share an idea.(I know the piece is only geared towards one religion, but some here work in wood for profit. I wouldnt go nuts making a dozen of them, but I think they would sell in the right areas where alot of walkbys in a show are jewish)

and please, by all means, take off the gloves and dont worry about walking on eggshells, if you think it just sucks, just say it sucks. This was a 30 minute total build. I thought Id dive into it a bit more, but between the heat, my work, my chairs, I lost some ummmphhh with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 629 (Medium).jpg   bed 630 (Medium).jpg   bed 631 (Medium).jpg   bed 632 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-19-2010 at 08:02 PM.

one thing i can see that you may want to add allen is the "star of david" some how. i think it is supposed to be on there from what i have seen on others..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Good use of scraps Allen. I agree with your comment on making a curve in the arms. Both on top side where the candle goes and the bottom i would reverse the curve.

Here is my modified version just to make clear what i am saying.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menorah modified.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	48474 Maybe not as agressive as my paint version.

I have wanted to build a large one with electric lights on for my neighbor who is Jewish. I always feel he is left out when we put the Xmas lights up. Issue that has held me back is switching on the various lights. Need a switch in the path of each light bulb as the days go by.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 08-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Good use of scraps Allen. I agree with your comment on making a curve in the arms. Both on top side where the candle goes and the bottom i would reverse the curve.

Here is my modified version just to make clear what i am saying.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menorah modified.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	48474 Maybe not as agressive as my paint version.

I have wanted to build a large one with electric lights on for my neighbor who is Jewish. I always feel he is left out when we put the Xmas lights up. Issue that has held me back is switching on the various lights. Need a switch in the path of each light bulb as the days go by.
    no you dont rob, just un screw them as needed.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Yes, a good idea.
    You didn't report me and others when we posted crosses.
    But, I note, you didn't invite me over for knishes and kreplachs either.
    I think yours looks fine. Many variations are possible.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

dont need a star of david, might be a better selling point.Rob, all the candles except the ninth one I believe should be on the same level, Id only curve the bottom.

Great idea, Allen. And for a quickly assembled test piece, I think yours has some cool details. like the cove cuts. I noticed on the ceramic animal menorah in the first photo, the tallest candleholder isn't the center one. I'm assuming that's still acceptable?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

yep, Ive seen tons of menorahs with just the 8 candles lined up in a row.
    Im going to try to use Glenn Bradleys circle cutter, to cut those arched candle holders, but cut the arches in half and attach different sizes to a center post, simple,(well, after a year I figured out how to do glenns jig properly), and maybe just some spalted maple and some cutting board designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Yes, a good idea.
    You didn't report me and others when we posted crosses.
    But, I note, you didn't invite me over for knishes and kreplachs either.
    I think yours looks fine. Many variations are possible.
    I prefer italian and chinese food.

on a menorah note: My wife walked in the door home from work before she thought it was one of the nicest things Ive ever built. Love is blind. She warned me its hers. I told her Ill make her 5 more, she doesnt care, this one is hers.
    Last edited by allen levine; 08-19-2010 at 10:05 PM.

I have wanted to build a large one with electric lights on for my neighbor who is Jewish. I always feel he is left out when we put the Xmas lights up. Issue that has held me back is switching on the various lights. Need a switch in the path of each light bulb as the days go by.[/QUOTE]

You could put an outdoor one together with pvc piping in around 1 hour assembly, the lights take a little time to wire up through the piping.