Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) toy!

New (to me) toy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	024.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	48475

I got a Deere! Been looking a long time. It needs some cosmetic work and a couple of mechanical things, but it is usable as is. The mower deck won't stay up and the brakes are almost non-existent. Also need a new seat and a new steering wheel. And an owners manual. Now to start cruisin' on Ebay.

No more pushing a mower, or hauling stuff in the wheel barrel. After I bought it I hiked on over to Harbor Freight and got a pair of ramps for my trailer and the little dump wagon.

The wagon doesn't look like much but it is quite ingeniously designed. Stronger than it appears. Took all morning to put together! Finally got the impact out with the socket driver. That made shorter work of the 70 or so screws, washers, and nuts.

Now I need to go buy a grease gun. I used to have one but it has found a really good place to hide. The only way I know to find it is to go buy another one! Funny how that works.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Good for you
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Good going Carol!

I think you'll really appreciate having a dump wagon. I got garden tractor a couple of years ago to mow the front yard here. Too bad the grass is all brown now

But the wagon I got for it sure makes up for not having to mow grass. It's probably about the same size as yours. Looks flimsy but can hold a pretty good amount. Probably at least 3 wheelbarrows worth. Really handy for hauling stuff around.

I made another little trailer for the wagon out of some 2x4 scraps and a a couple of pneumatic 4"x8" tires from harbor freight. It's real low to the ground and makes it easy to put the garbage cans in for hauling the trash to the end of the drive.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

good solid tractor carol, i have the 185 hydro.. the only thing i have had trouble with is the frnt drive clutch.. and few mower belts.. the idler tends to cease up some and cook belts.. so a shot of oil on the sealed bearings on the idler each season will help it on the left side of the mower deck under that little cover..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've got that same little trailer. Mine started to rust almost immediately, so after a year or so, I stripped it and painted it JD green - just couldn't stand the mismatch!

I also used bed liner 'paint' on the interior of the bed, It's lasted 4 years now with the new paint, and still looks good.

Where are the brakes on yours? The newer ones seem to use the transmission for braking - there are no brake drums or shoes.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Finally got the impact out with the socket driver. That made shorter work of the 70 or so screws, washers, and nuts.
    I must be getting lazy. I hardly ever use a regular screwdriver if I can help it. Seems like I'm always grabbing the little ryobi even for standard screwdriver type chores... Those things are great little time and wrist savers...
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 08-19-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Good looking setup Carol. It will be quite a time saver and work saver for you. After you get accustomed to using the tractor and trailer you will never want to be with out one.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Good deal and info on the trailer, was going to have to get one myself when we get moved.

I think I've got a line on a Deere myself, I think it's a 318, was told it has the pto and 3 point hitch...for $500

Will have to locate a mower deck for it, but figured I'll still be way ahead.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

A 318 was my first choice, Darren, but there is not a lot of choice out here. This is a solid geared tranny instead of the hydro.

Larry, since yours is the same as mine except for the tranny, what can you tell me about the brakes?

I am now looking for a front end snowblower. I will get an electric hydraulic pump and install hydraulics. The 318 already has them.

I do plan on extra weight in the back to keep it on the ground and eventually the tires will be replaced with ag tires for better traction. Its not like I have a turf that I need turf tires!

Thanks for the thought on paint, Jim. I am thinking Deere green for the trailer but not this year.

The dump trailer is rated for 600 pounds, and is pulled by that silly sheet metal plate on the back of the tractor. That will be replaced with something a bit more robust, and a hitch receiver will be added so I can pull my street trailer.

It is much bigger for hauling stuff. It is a 5x8 HF that has been suitably reinforced with lots of tie downs. I have to empty a shed to move the shed. The bigger trailer will come in handy for that task.

The shed will get moved by come-alongs tied to the various trees until it is out of the way. Right now it trespasses on the spot for the new shop!

Used to have a bigger tractor when I lived in California. But I also had 1 1/4 acres of dirt to manage. Now I have less than 1/2 an acre but a much worse back. So I traded about 8 visits to the chiropractor for this little green baby. Woo hoo!

well on mine carol all i got for brakes is a belt than loosens up when i hit the foot pedal to take the connection of the clutch motor..if you have no brakes i would suggest a new belt first,, does it mow? maybe the clutch is bad but if it mows well then its the belt and linkage adjustment..its basically just a clutch pedal. how many hp is it?

darren that is steal for good 318... and the mower deck around here is hard to find a good one..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!