need help advise

A guy i no at work brought these pieces in today.Wants me to refinish them for a lawyer friend of his.They go in the cabin of his friends sail boat.Well as i have done a few things for Lewis(the lawyer) before, i guess he thinks i can fix anything.:rofl::rofl: Got him fooled.:D I'm sure that it's mahogany and i think it has red mahogany stain on it. Just got it today so havn't looked at it real close. Ok now for the ? What would you suggest using to strip it with? and what would you suggest I do about the veneer that is missing? Now this is a freebee so don't want to spend to much on it. And should i use marine varnish on the finish or can i get by with lacquer seeing it goes in the cabin?
Thanks Steve

Attachments

• 002 [640x480].JPG
    002 [640x480].JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 001 [640x480].JPG
    001 [640x480].JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 59
Wow, that's in pretty rough shape. From the looks of the photos, it seems it might be easier to simply make a new part instead of trying to patch the veneer in the old one.

You didn't ask, but no way would I do that as a freebee. If it were just finish is one thing, but replace veneer, uh uh. It's not the money you spend. Its the time, and I'm sorry, but lawyers charge for their time as well.

Now to answer your question - with another question, of course! Is it the light or is that two colors of veneer that gives the stripped effect. Actually if it is two veneers, its easier to hide the patch. Just strip the whole length along the color line, and re-veneer. Got a vacuum bag for this? If it isn't and just a taped off section when staining, then still cut a straight line and re-veneer. Ought to hide it pretty good either way.

Wow, that's in pretty rough shape. From the looks of the photos, it seems it might be easier to simply make a new part instead of trying to patch the veneer in the old one.
Thought about that and might have to but hoping i can use something around the shop i all ready have

You didn't ask, but no way would I do that as a freebee. If it were just finish is one thing, but replace veneer, uh uh. It's not the money you spend. Its the time, and I'm sorry, but lawyers charge for their time as well.

Now to answer your question - with another question, of course! Is it the light or is that two colors of veneer that gives the stripped effect. Actually if it is two veneers, its easier to hide the patch. Just strip the whole length along the color line, and re-veneer. Got a vacuum bag for this? If it isn't and just a taped off section when staining, then still cut a straight line and re-veneer. Ought to hide it pretty good either way.
Thank ya Carol that's the stuff i was hoping to here.:)

NOT for free steve and i like carols approach but i cant add to it in any way..
Larry it's always nice to have some one like that owe you then the other way around.:D. And yes he owes me all ready for a number of small repairs that i've done for him allready. Nothing major just some chair and table repair.:thumb:

well if your set on doing it then i think i would look for some preglued veneer or at least paper backed stuff.. john bartley used some birdseye stuff and it worked slick on a old radio.. a bag is great if you have one:rolleyes:

well if your set on doing it then i think i would look for some preglued veneer or at least paper backed stuff.. john bartley used some birdseye stuff and it worked slick on a old radio.. a bag is great if you have one:rolleyes:
Ya i guess we're a lot a like in that we like to give stuff away. just makes us feel good.:D:thumb: Don't have a bag but do have a bunch of paper backed veneer. That's what i used on the desk i'm working on. Well at least when i get some time for my self.O by the way Carol yes that does have inlay bands of veneer in it.

So whats so bad about it. Is that white spot just a white water mark of missing veneer ? I can not advise with out knowing. But for stripping. use any stripper that will work and then clean with lacquer thinner. Color with oil wiping stain and sence it will be on a boat use a Murine varnish.

Aggrovates me when the answers to your questions are un requested opinions & advice on how much you are squandering by doing a job for friendship and not because you want to.

There is no way that I have ever been "properly paid" for any of the jobs I've done for friends and family but I feel good when rewarded with a "thank you".

As for the job at hand, Looks like total replacement would be easier than repair. BUT stripping the finish will show how much work is required. If veneered then replace the damaged parts, I would select Contact cement and bypass the vacuum bag. and for finish, I would go with Polyurethane, Lacquer will not last in a water related area. Although it is inside the cabin, it is still exposed to the ambiant humidity that is still there. (we own a houseboat and as it sits yearlong on a lake, it bounces between Hot, cold ,damp, and dry on a daily basis... Finishes have to be weather proof.

Post the finished results and provide these pictures also for a comparison. Thanks for the post. :wave:

Whichever way you go with the veneer, when it comes to finish there's nothing beats Sikkens Cetol. My son and his wife own two boats and they refinish inside and out with Cetol because it lasts for more than a year. Available at Sherwin-Williams and Miller paint stores here. I just used it to refinish the front door of my house after ordinary poly finish faded and went milky in less than two years.

I ca't add a lot to what others have said except for a stripper, get a product called "Dad's easy strip" You can get it at true value. It come with a spray bottle and you simply spray it on. It will turn the old finish into a gell that is easy to scrape off. Where heavy gloves and don't get it on your skin. If you do rinse in water till the burning stops.:eek: It has for it active ingredient Metholyne Chloride which is what most professional use.

Thanks all.:thumb:I do appreciate all the good advise. Dave that white spot goes all the way through the veneer. the veneer is compleatly gone in that spot. talked to Arther (chicken to friends)today and he said lewis told him to tell me to get what ever i need and he wants to reimburse me for at least the materals, as i woun't take any pay.:) So if i have to get some thing i don't have now at least it woun't come out of my pocket.
Steve