Thread: Hardwood floor stapler

Hardwood floor stapler

I am going to be putting in solid wood flooring in the kitchen and dining room as part of my kitchen remodel and my question is the nail gun for them. I can rent one (have not priced renting yet) or purchase one as I will be doing more hardwood flooring in the future in my home. Is any one familiar with this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:WNARL:US:1123 or this one http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ler-99640.html any suggestions on a nailer?

Thanks Tom
    Last edited by Tom Niemi; 08-20-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added web site

Tom, Bostitch or Portanailer are the 2 best and most widely used by pro's. I would use the pneumatic version. Saves on the shoulder.
    Other than for stapling or nailing a floor they are pretty useless.
    HF sells one cheap but i don't know how good they are. Removing a bent staple from hardwood is not fun. Personally I would rent the best one I could.

Are you going with staples over nails?? Staples are cheaper but I like the nails better. Less chances of bending and jamming.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Thanks Bob I still have to check what the local rental places have and will this weekend. And I will be using nails........don't know why I said stapler

rent one tom and save your cash..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Thats most likely the way I will go Larry, just curious on the pricing either way. If I could get a decent tool for the same price as renting........maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    If I could get a decent tool for the same price as renting........maybe
    You don't want decent, you want a good one for this job!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Put down HW flooring in my son's kitchen, then again at my daughter's... rented one from HD. Can't remember how much but I do remember it would have taken a bunch of uses to cover the difference between renting and owning. Also, It broke halfway through one of the jobs, down an hour whilst we took it back for a "no questions asked" replacement, and back to work... Do that with one you own...

My vote is... Unless you are going pro, or living way out in the woods where a trip to town is an adventure, you are better off renting than owning.

I have nail guns that are used by my friends who borrow, more than used by me... (Which is OK as I have surely gotten my money's worth before I ran out of projects for it...) To do it again, I think I would have to consider renting.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    rent one tom and save your cash..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    You don't want decent, you want a good one for this job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Put down HW flooring in my son's kitchen, then again at my daughter's... rented one from HD. Can't remember how much but I do remember it would have taken a bunch of uses to cover the difference between renting and owning. Also, It broke halfway through one of the jobs, down an hour whilst we took it back for a "no questions asked" replacement, and back to work... Do that with one you own...

My vote is... Unless you are going pro, or living way out in the woods where a trip to town is an adventure, you are better off renting than owning.

I have nail guns that are used by my friends who borrow, more than used by me... (Which is OK as I have surely gotten my money's worth before I ran out of projects for it...) To do it again, I think I would have to consider renting.
    Just the info I needed to make the correct decision I will definitely rent Thanks all for making my mind straight

Rent one unless you have $500 to drop on one. Staples are better due the fact the dont split out the wood as bad. I have a bostich and love it.

nice to see you again Al.