Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Hardwood floor stapler

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Plainwell, Michigan
    Posts
    4,857

    Hardwood floor stapler

    I am going to be putting in solid wood flooring in the kitchen and dining room as part of my kitchen remodel and my question is the nail gun for them. I can rent one (have not priced renting yet) or purchase one as I will be doing more hardwood flooring in the future in my home. Is any one familiar with this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:WNARL:US:1123 or this one http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ler-99640.html any suggestions on a nailer?

    Thanks Tom
    Last edited by Tom Niemi; 08-20-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added web site

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Amherst, New Hampshire
    Posts
    10,604
    Tom, Bostitch or Portanailer are the 2 best and most widely used by pro's. I would use the pneumatic version. Saves on the shoulder.
    Other than for stapling or nailing a floor they are pretty useless.
    HF sells one cheap but i don't know how good they are. Removing a bent staple from hardwood is not fun. Personally I would rent the best one I could.

    Are you going with staples over nails?? Staples are cheaper but I like the nails better. Less chances of bending and jamming.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Plainwell, Michigan
    Posts
    4,857
    Thanks Bob I still have to check what the local rental places have and will this weekend. And I will be using nails........don't know why I said stapler

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,475
    rent one tom and save your cash..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Plainwell, Michigan
    Posts
    4,857
    Thats most likely the way I will go Larry, just curious on the pricing either way. If I could get a decent tool for the same price as renting........maybe

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    The Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    If I could get a decent tool for the same price as renting........maybe
    You don't want decent, you want a good one for this job!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.


    Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

  7. #7
    Put down HW flooring in my son's kitchen, then again at my daughter's... rented one from HD. Can't remember how much but I do remember it would have taken a bunch of uses to cover the difference between renting and owning. Also, It broke halfway through one of the jobs, down an hour whilst we took it back for a "no questions asked" replacement, and back to work... Do that with one you own...

    My vote is... Unless you are going pro, or living way out in the woods where a trip to town is an adventure, you are better off renting than owning.

    I have nail guns that are used by my friends who borrow, more than used by me... (Which is OK as I have surely gotten my money's worth before I ran out of projects for it...) To do it again, I think I would have to consider renting.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Plainwell, Michigan
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    rent one tom and save your cash..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    You don't want decent, you want a good one for this job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Put down HW flooring in my son's kitchen, then again at my daughter's... rented one from HD. Can't remember how much but I do remember it would have taken a bunch of uses to cover the difference between renting and owning. Also, It broke halfway through one of the jobs, down an hour whilst we took it back for a "no questions asked" replacement, and back to work... Do that with one you own...

    My vote is... Unless you are going pro, or living way out in the woods where a trip to town is an adventure, you are better off renting than owning.

    I have nail guns that are used by my friends who borrow, more than used by me... (Which is OK as I have surely gotten my money's worth before I ran out of projects for it...) To do it again, I think I would have to consider renting.
    Just the info I needed to make the correct decision I will definitely rent Thanks all for making my mind straight

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Floydada, Tx
    Posts
    1,941
    Rent one unless you have $500 to drop on one. Staples are better due the fact the dont split out the wood as bad. I have a bostich and love it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    new york city burbs
    Posts
    10,188
    nice to see you again Al.

Similar Threads

  1. Hardwood Floor - two questions on transitions
    By Art Mulder in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-04-2010, 02:14 PM
  2. Hardwood Floor Installation report...
    By Art Mulder in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 03:00 AM
  3. upholstery stapler - help needed
    By Rennie Heuer in forum New Tools
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 11:07 PM
  4. Can I install a hardwood floor?
    By Dennis Thompson in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 02:15 AM
  5. Refinishing Hardwood Floor
    By chris johnson in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 09:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •