Hardwood floor stapler

Tom Niemi

Staff member
I am going to be putting in solid wood flooring in the kitchen and dining room as part of my kitchen remodel and my question is the nail gun for them. I can rent one (have not priced renting yet) or purchase one as I will be doing more hardwood flooring in the future in my home. Is any one familiar with this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260652376851&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:US:1123 or this one http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...3-in-1-flooring-nailer-and-stapler-99640.html any suggestions on a nailer?

Thanks Tom

Last edited:
Tom, Bostitch or Portanailer are the 2 best and most widely used by pro's. I would use the pneumatic version. Saves on the shoulder.
Other than for stapling or nailing a floor they are pretty useless.
HF sells one cheap but i don't know how good they are. Removing a bent staple from hardwood is not fun. Personally I would rent the best one I could.

Are you going with staples over nails?? Staples are cheaper but I like the nails better. Less chances of bending and jamming.

Thanks Bob I still have to check what the local rental places have and will this weekend. And I will be using nails........don't know why I said stapler:p

Thats most likely the way I will go Larry, just curious on the pricing either way. If I could get a decent tool for the same price as renting........maybe:)

Put down HW flooring in my son's kitchen, then again at my daughter's... rented one from HD. Can't remember how much but I do remember it would have taken a bunch of uses to cover the difference between renting and owning. Also, It broke halfway through one of the jobs, down an hour whilst we took it back for a "no questions asked" replacement, and back to work... :thumb: Do that with one you own...

My vote is... Unless you are going pro, or living way out in the woods where a trip to town is an adventure, you are better off renting than owning.

I have nail guns that are used by my friends who borrow, more than used by me... (Which is OK as I have surely gotten my money's worth before I ran out of projects for it...) To do it again, I think I would have to consider renting.

rent one tom and save your cash..

You don't want decent, you want a good one for this job!

Put down HW flooring in my son's kitchen, then again at my daughter's... rented one from HD. Can't remember how much but I do remember it would have taken a bunch of uses to cover the difference between renting and owning. Also, It broke halfway through one of the jobs, down an hour whilst we took it back for a "no questions asked" replacement, and back to work... :thumb: Do that with one you own...

My vote is... Unless you are going pro, or living way out in the woods where a trip to town is an adventure, you are better off renting than owning.

I have nail guns that are used by my friends who borrow, more than used by me... (Which is OK as I have surely gotten my money's worth before I ran out of projects for it...) To do it again, I think I would have to consider renting.

Just the info I needed to make the correct decision I will definitely rent:) Thanks all for making my mind straight:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Rent one unless you have $500 to drop on one. Staples are better due the fact the dont split out the wood as bad. I have a bostich and love it.