my 4 year anniversary since I started woodworking

allen levine

its been four years now, 2 with hardwoods, but I started making adirondack chairs 4 years mid august 2006.
Not sure which was more confusing, when I first learned I wanted to get invovled with woodworking, or when I was in my teens and wanted to get invovled with girls.
either way, both have been a difficult experience, but I always love the challenge.
Probably never know too much about either subject.

Allen,
I've enjoyed whatching you grow as a woodworker. If theres one bit of advise I'd offer is slow down and enjoy the process. Sometime you get in such a hurry to get the end results you take short cuts to get there. I could site several instances in your posts but will leave that up to you to do some self analysis. Keep up the good work and slow down and enjoy the journey.

All I can say is that you've done more in 4 years than a lot of hobbiests do in a life time, and I enjoy every post and project you put up here... :thumb: :thumb:

Allen,
I've enjoyed whatching you grow as a woodworker. If theres one bit of advise I'd offer is slow down and enjoy the process. Sometime you get in such a hurry to get the end results you take short cuts to get there. I could site several instances in your posts but will leave that up to you to do some self analysis. Keep up the good work and slow down and enjoy the journey.

I understand how it seems.
Its frustration.
I cant stand having to deal with this crap disease and when my body decides to shut down and I cant hold up a drill, Im sometimes not ready to leave.
It drives me up a wall. the heat is killing me this year.
Last summer I managed 8-10 hour days in the shop, this summer I cant make 3 or4 .
I wanted to do some spin work on a menorah this week, I couldnt find my new chisels, I was really ticked off that I buried everything including the lathe.

well allen, considering what you go threw with your health, and your time allotments your still doing fine.. but don, did make a good point and we all have been there, i know i have and just recently,, we do sometimes need to stop and look at what we are doing or have done and make some changes..if you go to the bakery, and see all the donuts in the world there. and grab batches of them and eat them quickly you dont get the true flavor of the special ones..this isnt a race but a journey,, yes sometimes we or others put a deadline on the projects but, the take your time and do it when it feels right and do it better than last time approach is the best way in most cases..even in business quality should be more important than quanitity..

ya know, if Im not happy with something Im giving to someone, or making for someone, I stop and redo it.
with things like the menorah, if I cant turn one out in a set period of time, I will rush through steps like setting up a bandsaw to cut a curve and just leave it straight, because if its not a profitable thing to build, the entire build is moot, if its not for myself.
I wont sell something for 50 or 60 bucks that retails for 129 if it takes me 3-4 hours to build.
I dont work with my hands and use my electric and my tools and supplies for 12 dollars an hour.
I need to see if something is worth to build if Im not keeping it.
and Ill use short cuts whenever possible, like using pocket screws if I dont feel Ive compromised the integrity of the product.
now you guys are giving me a complex, I might slow down to brent speed and spend the next 4 thanksgivings explaining to my family, oh, dont worry, the table is coming. sorry about the cardboard cartons.:D

Last edited:
well allen, considering what you go threw with your health, and your time allotments your still doing fine.. but don, did make a good point and we all have been there, i know i have and just recently,, we do sometimes need to stop and look at what we are doing or have done and make some changes..if you go to the bakery, and see all the donuts in the world there. and grab batches of them and eat them quickly you dont get the true flavor of the special ones..this isnt a race but a journey,, yes sometimes we or others put a deadline on the projects but, the take your time and do it when it feels right and do it better than last time approach is the best way in most cases..even in business quality should be more important than quanitity..

:thumb::thumb: