Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireplace & Dining area remodel - Final touch

Fireplace & Dining area remodel - Final touch

Well, the hideous pink tile is gone as well as all the popcorn from the ceiling. Next step, a wood feature wall in the dining area and built ins around the fireplace.
    Here are the obligatory "before" shots of the space.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	48483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	48484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	48485

The feature wall will have a plate rail at about 55" and wood frame & panel below - all in VG DF. I am also installing a new fire rated fiberglass 6-panel door to the shop. The fireplace will have built ins on either side (enclosed space below mantel height for stereo equipment, etc. and less deep open shelving above). The fireplace will have a tumbled tile surround and hearth and the over-mantel and the front of the hearth will have the same frame & panel treatment as the wall. The mantel will go across the entire unit and become the top of the lower cabinets. Something like this:

Name:	p1090886.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	48486
    or this

Name:	This is very close to what I had in mind.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	48487

Looking forward to completion no later than the end of September.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 10-21-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Well you knew somebody as going to do it.

Wow, making serious progress there Rennie.

I really like both of those mantels, will have to show those to my wife as we're thinking about updating the look the fireplace in the new house.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Both ideas look great Rennie Are you going to get rid of some of the brick to accomplish the look you want?

I love the picture 5 of 5.....that is one impressive wall unit!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    I love the picture 5 of 5.....that is one impressive wall unit!
    It's very close to what I want to do. My lower built ins would be deeper than the front of the fireplace, just like in the picture. But, instead of windows above, there will be shallow book shelves - about 10" deep. Not really meant for books - more art work, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Both ideas look great Rennie Are you going to get rid of some of the brick to accomplish the look you want?
    Tom, none of the brick will be visible when I am done. It will look very much like th 5th picture with tile around the firebox and on the hearth, and wood everywhere else.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie you work neat man. Place dont look like a job site except for the patchs on the walls. Not an ounce of popcorn in site.

I like your taste. Pic no 5 for me too. With a nice old clock face in it as well.

Will follow along.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Rennie you work neat man. Place dont look like a job site except for the patchs on the walls. Not an ounce of popcorn in site.

I like your taste. Pic no 5 for me too. With a nice old clock face in it as well.

Will follow along.
    Hmmm. You should have seen the place when every inch of the floor was covered in rosin paper and the walls were all draped with plastic. What a mess!

I managed to get the new door installed last night. It's a big improvement, though it did not go as well as planned. NOT ONE SINGLE WALL IN THIS HOUSE IS PLUMB!! I managed to get the gap even all the way around and it swings and closes fine, but the upper corner does not close as tight as it should. The wall on the right of the door in the picture leans into the shop a bit.

Anyway, here's the first progress shot.

Name:	DSC_0001 (698 x 800).jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	48502

www.wrworkshop.com

Rennie, if you had a house with plumb walls, it may very well be the only one in the country!

I replaced interior doors in my house and the jams are not square. Good luck with getting an even reveal! I have to removed the entire jam into the laundry room and square that, then rehang the door.

BTW, nice job so far. I really like your plans for that wall.
    Sheesh!

hey rennie you need to cut some holes in the wall first for the windows and after that is done then your idea will look great.. oh thats right you cant thats your shop back there.. but hey that would be a nice addition you get more light and your wife and friends can watch you work.. looking forward to the final out come.. sept isnt far away yu better get started
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!