Fireplace & Dining area remodel - Final touch

:thumb: Very nice.

I have to say, I was not at all a fan when you decided to cut down that gorgeous long fir beam and use it as a shorter mantle instead of full length. HOWEVER, now that I see the end result, I'm very impressed with the end result. It looks really really well done.

Question -- I can't tell, does the plate rail in the dining area line up with anything on the fireplace side of the room?

I just showed Elen, she said, OMG! thats so pretty!

yeah, youre just making my life tough, thanks.

Like you banging out projects left and right hasn't gotten all the rest of us in trouble! :rofl::rofl:

really nice! Especially like the wainscoting and the ceiling light over the table. Did you make that light fixture?

Yep, sure did. Used 4 pendants that match the one over the kitchen sink.

:thumb: Very nice.

I have to say, I was not at all a fan when you decided to cut down that gorgeous long fir beam and use it as a shorter mantle instead of full length. HOWEVER, now that I see the end result, I'm very impressed with the end result. It looks really really well done.

Question -- I can't tell, does the plate rail in the dining area line up with anything on the fireplace side of the room?

Reprieved!!:bliss:

Yes - sharp eye. The plate rail is equal to the elevation of the mantel. (Well, almost. That was the original plan but things happen.)

Last edited:
I dunno...I was kinda partial to the sandstone-colored brick and avocado walls and door. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You hit this one outa the park, Rennie. :bow:

One suggestion from a guy who installs artwork, if I may...

The framed picture on the mantel seems to disrupt the lines and visual flow of the rest of the wall. I can understand the desire for antisymmetry, and think it's a cool idea in that space, but I'd recommend finding a smaller piece to take the place of the piece you have now. Even if it was raised to put it squarely in the center of its allotted space, I still think its size overpowers the rest of the details on the wall. Here's a bad Photoshop job of what I'm talking about...

Rennies Mantel Tweaked.jpg

That said, artwork (and its placement) is a very subjective thing, so go with what looks and feels best to you and Jan. :thumb:

I dunno...I was kinda partial to the sandstone-colored brick and avocado walls and door. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You hit this one outa the park, Rennie. :bow:

One suggestion from a guy who installs artwork, if I may...

The framed picture on the mantel seems to disrupt the lines and visual flow of the rest of the wall. I can understand the desire for antisymmetry, and think it's a cool idea in that space, but I'd recommend finding a smaller piece to take the place of the piece you have now. Even if it was raised to put it squarely in the center of its allotted space, I still think its size overpowers the rest of the details on the wall. Here's a bad Photoshop job of what I'm talking about...

View attachment 57327

That said, artwork (and its placement) is a very subjective thing, so go with what looks and feels best to you and Jan. :thumb:
I agree with you, but it's all we had available for the shoot. :D I'll look around for something smaller.:thumb:

This morning I put the final touch on the fireplace remodel - yes, three years after starting. To be fair to myself, the person wo did the stained glass for me took up about two years of that time.

The center glass Jan purchased at an auction with the intent of building a frame around it for the fireplace screen. The wings had to be fabricated and I turned to a local friend for that part. She matched the color perfectly and captured the theme of the design as well. I'm very pleased with the outcome. I can now check the fireplace off the list as complete! :thumb:

Screen complete.jpg

I agree with Carol. Very nice indeed. :thumb:

Darren could have done the stained glass work for you...and I'll bet he would have only taken a year and a half at the max. :D

Hmmmm. Minor issue. Jan thinks it might be "too much". :huh: Too fancy? Too much color? Too big? To much for the simple lines of the fireplace surround? :bang:

We've agreed to live with it for a while and see if it grows on her.:crossed:

Great looking piece Rennie. Is there some protective glass on the back side to protect the solder joints when you have a fire going? Or will it be for decoration only?

Darren could have done the stained glass work for you...and I'll bet he would have only taken a year and a half at the max. :D

I'm afraid I've passed the torch onto someone whom will far exceed my abilities. ;)

Primarily for decoration. It's a gas unit, so I don't know how hot it gets there. I might fire it up someday and place a thermometer nearby to see.

You did a fantastic job, Rennie! The stained glass looks great to me (and I don't usually like things to be too ornate). Beautiful all the way around. :thumb:

Hmmmm. Minor issue. Jan thinks it might be "too much". :huh: Too fancy? Too much color? Too big? To much for the simple lines of the fireplace surround? :bang:

We've agreed to live with it for a while and see if it grows on her.:crossed:

I am agreeing with Jan. The fireplace looks great without it. Just me....and of course Jan.