Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good price for Black Walnut??

Is this a good price for Black Walnut??

Jesus was a Woodworker

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I pay $6.50 a bd.ft. for 8/4 no matter how wide or how long and that in the middle of the desert so I'd think it's a little high.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I just paid about $7 for 8/4 S2Sin SoCal.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

It seems rather high to me as well. Really, the only appealing part of the proposed offer is the supposed width and quality of the boards.

Air dried here (where it plentifully grows) is about $3.00~$4.50. Kiln dried goes for around $6.00.

If you're going to go look at the stuff in Clackamas, check it carefully for twists and also for end checks. Improper air drying can cause both these defects. For me, that'd bring the price down to about a buck a foot.

If he sells it as 8/4, the boards he describes would be 34.86 BF, and would cost $348.60 each! For that much money, it'd better be PERFECT!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I'm with Jim, no more than $4.00.
    Walnut is not scarce. Beautiful but plentiful. I get mine free to save from the fireplace.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

8/4 Walnut at local Roecklers is 10.00 bdft. I'm lookin' elsewhere. A nearby mill should be cheaper.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Thanks guys, it just seemed a little steep to me, but I thought I'd Poll the Family Experts to be sure.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Dan at my local lumber joint for 10/4 character grade its $10.40 per bd ft Canadian. Just for reference. But drops dramaticall as it gets thinner.
    cheers

For the width offered, I disagree with the previoous posts to a certain extent. If you have a need for a 20" walnut board, it's very unusual and worth a high price for a small amount if the quality is good (clear or FAS). However, unless you need 20" boards, or unless the guy offers only 20" boards the price is high. Back walnut does vary depending on location. Locally, the site I judge others by is

http://www.stonesriverhardwoods.com/price-list

That said, I do find some local craigslist black walnut in small #1-FAS 50/50 mix for somewhere around $2/bf. I believe there will be a good premium for the west coast from what I've seen though. Claro walnut seems to be cheaper delivered out there though.

Please note, at that price I would exepect any end checking or cracked footage to be free. That's a very premium board foot price for clear zero defect wood with exceptional 20" width.