Is this a good price for Black Walnut??

It seems rather high to me as well. Really, the only appealing part of the proposed offer is the supposed width and quality of the boards.

Air dried here (where it plentifully grows) is about $3.00~$4.50. Kiln dried goes for around $6.00.

If you're going to go look at the stuff in Clackamas, check it carefully for twists and also for end checks. Improper air drying can cause both these defects. For me, that'd bring the price down to about a buck a foot.

If he sells it as 8/4, the boards he describes would be 34.86 BF, and would cost $348.60 each! For that much money, it'd better be PERFECT!

For the width offered, I disagree with the previoous posts to a certain extent. If you have a need for a 20" walnut board, it's very unusual and worth a high price for a small amount if the quality is good (clear or FAS). However, unless you need 20" boards, or unless the guy offers only 20" boards the price is high. Back walnut does vary depending on location. Locally, the site I judge others by is

http://www.stonesriverhardwoods.com/price-list

That said, I do find some local craigslist black walnut in small #1-FAS 50/50 mix for somewhere around $2/bf. I believe there will be a good premium for the west coast from what I've seen though. Claro walnut seems to be cheaper delivered out there though.

Please note, at that price I would exepect any end checking or cracked footage to be free. That's a very premium board foot price for clear zero defect wood with exceptional 20" width.

price is high but for a 20" -9/4 board of clear walnut they dont happen much..and they are gonna be less of them as the years go on. they are now taking 12 to 14 inch stumps in my area and that takes the big ones out of the mix,, no time to get big..