Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rebuilding the lathe platform...finished!

rebuilding the lathe platform...finished!

well, after waking up to one of the worst cramps in my calf ever, got today under way. i figured that i would have to go to one or more home depots in order to get enough of the casters (16) for the work benches, but after going out to the home depot furthest out, they had just enough. as the wife was with me, we did some baby shower shopping, and had lunch. then it was over to my dad's to take some strategic measurements of the lathe, and the platform. what i intend to do, is while i need to remove the lathe from it's platform to replace the casters, i'm going to build a proper height (for me) stand, so that i'm not reaching up a little. i've designed it based on the workbench base, with a double 3/4" plywood top, and 1/2" sides and back, to enclose it, and provide ports for dust extraction. once i have this built, it will be attached to the base. then i will take the lathe off it's metal legs, and secure it to the new base. later on i'll build a slide in cabinet for tool, and sandpaper storage. but for now, here is the idea, done up in sketchup, and rendered to look somewhat real....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new lathe platform.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Noren; 08-23-2010 at 03:58 AM.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Looks like it should be pretty stout. Do you have plans for the part of the base that sticks out to the right?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

that's the part of the platform where the stand for the grinder is located.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathe with grinder stand.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

I figured you had a plan for that space. That'll be handy. Make sure you leave enough room to remove the tailstock.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

more progress made today, with one slight interruption, she reminded me to be home before noon, as we had a birthday party for one of her friend's kids. i did manage to get all the lumber, and had it cut at home depot. nice enough kid, and he didn't charge me for the cutting. got it all in the car, and over to my dad's for the cutting of the notches, and final assembly (which will happen after the bday party). i still have to replace the casters on the other benches too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails little car that could.JPG   notches marked.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

hey dano this almost illegal,, taking and soiling the flat work forum with spinny stuff but i will let you off you do enough flat work to get preferential treatment looks like that will be solid.. but i dont know if i would want my grinder that close to the lathe..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

If I was going to put the grinder on the same cabinet or stand I would put it on the same cabinet or stand & try not to cobble 2 different stands together. Kinda looks like an after thought. One movable stand on top of another??? You can always use threaded inserts & knobs with threaded shanks to hold the grinder in place so you can move it if need be.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 08-21-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Dan are you using locking casters or regular, free wheel?

Yeah but Bart and Larry i dont think you guys are thinking about how Dan works on the driveway. This way he can take the grinder stand and stand it next to him for the quick side ways sharpening and then back at the lathe. I am guess that is only for transportation and storage purposes.

Dan you better help me out here i feel like Custer at little big horn.
    cheers

hey dano this almost illegal,, taking and soiling the flat work forum with spinny stuff but i will let you off you do enough flat work to get preferential treatment looks like that will be solid.. but i dont know if i would want my grinder that close to the lathe..

well ol son, ahs thinin yeu jumpinn th gunn a bit here. they ain't no spinny stuff involved here, its all flat stuff...

If I was going to put the grinder on the same cabinet or stand I would put it on the same cabinet or stand & try not to cobble 2 different stands together. Kinda looks like an after thought. One movable stand on top of another??? You can always use threaded inserts & knobs with threaded shanks to hold the grinder in place so you can move it if need be.

bart, you're not swillin the same funny water as the ambassador, are you? he's seeing spinny stuff going on, and you're seeing a mobile platform under a mobile platform with no wheels. the stand for the grinder is attached to the base, i may move it to one side or the other, once the new casters are in place, and the new cabinet is on the base. i'm planning on attaching the big case with several husky lag screws.

Dan are you using locking casters or regular, free wheel?

steve, they are free wheeling, fully swivelling casters, rated at over 300 lbs each. when i wheel this behemoth onto the driveway, i'll be using wheel chocks to keep it from moving.

Yeah but Bart and Larry i dont think you guys are thinking about how Dan works on the driveway. This way he can take the grinder stand and stand it next to him for the quick side ways sharpening and then back at the lathe. I am guess that is only for transportation and storage purposes.

Dan you better help me out here i feel like Custer at little big horn.

rob, hopefully i've addressed (that's ansered larri) the concerns of our friends. however, arrow removal must be done by yourself, as my services are not covered under plan canada...

ok, on to the real fun. got back home after several hours at the bday party. then it was off to my dad's again. i've got the new casters under all of my benches, except the one for the bandsaw and drill press, it already has them, and the lathe platform. i got about halfway to my dad's and realized i forgot the camera. there will be plenty of pics tomorrow. since all i needed to do was cut the notches in the legs for the lathe cabinet, i cut them and assembled the behemoth. i call it that because it's 60 inches long, 22 inches deep, and 26 inches tall, and weighs in at around 80-90 pounds. i cannot lift this thing by myself, one end of it, but not the whole thing. i still need to rig an elbow and schnozzle setup for down draft dust collection, but hey, that's what tomorrows are for. busy day today, and worked like a dog.
    benedictione omnes bene