New Quilt holder.

Bill Simpson

A friend's wife is a quilter, her daughter is getting married and so she wanted a quilt holder, but "not those fancy ones or cutie ones you build"... Tell me more...

Her bedroom is plain white with beadboard on the headboard and the chest as well... so I designed this simple Quilt holder. The legs are 6/4 and the rails are 4/4 and the rods are 1" dia.

P1060462a-1.jpg

With my weakness in my hands gettting worse, painting has become a problem. I tried a brush but culdn't hold it properly. Then tried spray cans but couldn't hold down the spray button, so I got one of those gun type handles and could hold it with both hands. But not two days in a row.

Sorry for the poor picture but my daughter borrowed my good camera so I brought this hulk out of retirement,

Hope you like the design, Have had several requests for similar... Will have to wait till this weakness issue is resolved.

Very nice! :thumb:

So this would hold three quilts?

Thanks, I suspect as Beefy as it is, it will hold as many as you want to pile up on it. But there are three rods so I guess it best displays three. (I took several pictures at different angles and in each of them the third rod was hidden by another... Of course I am inapt at photog)

Oh, BTW.... There are no metal fasteners, just joinery and glue. (can't tell with the paint & all... )

Last edited:
looks like it will match just fine bill, as for the hand troubles what about a small spray gun setup, like a earlex or similiar? the finger pressure isnt that hard and your fingers could trade off if needed..

quilt rack

Nice work Bill...always nice to see good projects finished. Painting is something I really don't like to do either. If I use a paint brush I could paint with a broom and it wouldn't look any different. If I use a spray can when I get close to running out of paint the spray burps and splats the paint all over. And Of course numerous other things in the immediate area receive a light coat of an unwanted color. So sometimes a natural finish looks just fine, just have to be a little more selective about the wood. Sometimes when a project is made for someone else they are willing to do the cosmetics. Just keep the projects coming.

Not all woodwork requires fine finishes and high gloss.

To me that looks like an excellent project and I'm sure the recipient will enjoy it.

sorry to hear about your hands, and hope things get better for you as you go along!....

Painted is not my style, either.... but I'm in my 60s and she is in her 20s.... so...

But the style (I call it Martha Stewart style) kind of lends itself to painted. My sister loves it for her guest bedroom which is decorated with her collection of Lighthouse momentos from her traveling days, I can see it going with the Cape Cod type painted furniture. Maybe I'll build another after my issues are cleared up. Distressed and Crackle finish may look good.

Was able to use up some Poplar that was salvaged from older projects. (Poplar paints so well.) A few less pieces to stumble over in the shop... In fact I think I have a piece in the garage I can put in its place, then there will more room in the garage to store more wood...

Thanks for the comments. :wave:

Last edited: