Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked the wrong day to put the mast up on the Sailboat

Picked the wrong day to put the mast up on the Sailboat

So, we are trying to get our sail boat ready to run again. Used to keep it in a slip in California, but since we moved we've had so much to do around this place it just kind of fell into a bit of disrepair.

The last couple of weeks have been warm, but nice. Sometimes in the summer we get several days of super hot weather that kind of spawn 'monsoon' types of thunderstorms that do nothing but bring clouds, lightening, and fire. No moisture, so they just cause fires.

So nothing was in the forecast today and this morning I started doing some work on the boat. Decided I needed to get the mast up so I could get all the sheets, halyards, and lines off it to clean them up.

Then today it started to get cloudy in the afternoon and thunder starts rolling through the valley...

I went out there about an hour ago and I heard a weird 'tik tik tik tik' noise coming from the boat. There's nothing on that boat now. No batteries, nothing. We are cleaning it up.

The tik tik noise varied from 1 per second to sounding like a 120 beat on a metronome... Best as I can figure the static electricity was building up in the rigging and somehow was finding a way to ground somewhere through the boat. I'm guessing the skeg on the motor, but I wasn't going to get close enough to find out what with the lightning and thunder out and about.

Seems like the little bit if moisture we just got tempered it down.

I think tomorrow I'll pound a metal stake in the ground and hook some old jumper cables up to it to ground it until I take the mast down...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boatinclouds.jpg  
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 08-21-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Yup....looks like a darn good lightning rod sticking up there. You have the right idea getting it grounded. Good luck and happy sailing.

Oh man i envy you going sailing. Long time since i was on a boat. Lot of work to prepare it though, they like high maintenance woman a sailing boat. How are the main sails after all the storage?
    cheers

Sails are all fine. Engine is a little rough, bottom needs some painting...

We had some good times on that boat in the California delta. Overnights are a lot of fun. Can't wait to get everything sorted out again and have some good times on it. If we don't might as well sell the darn thing, but I'd rather use it than lose it...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Sails are all fine. Engine is a little rough, bottom needs some painting...

We had some good times on that boat in the California delta. Overnights are a lot of fun. Can't wait to get everything sorted out again and have some good times on it. If we don't might as well sell the darn thing, but I'd rather use it than lose it...
    Brent , I envey you don't sell it sail it. can't you find a marina on lake tahoe ??
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Brent , I envey you don't sell it sail it. can't you find a marina on lake tahoe ??
    Yes sail it there are lakes all over the place out there...Looks like a beautiful boat..

It's our little water camper. Other than the delta, we've only taken it (many times) to Lake Mead near Las Vegas. Always a great time. Can't wait to get it out on the water again.

Ok no one has asked this question so i guess i will have to stir up the pot here. Out of the two of you who is the skipper and who is the crew.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Ok no one has asked this question so i guess i will have to stir up the pot here. Out of the two of you who is the skipper and who is the crew.
    Hard to tell. We are a pretty good couple. Sometimes one of us is in charge, other times the other. We call it team work...

Now now Brent i thought you gonna come back with " I am the skipper and i have my wifes permission to say so" I think we can tell you both are a good team
    cheers