Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Hello

Hi, I am 42 and have absolutely no woodworking skills. I do have the desire. I own a Craftsman compound miter saw, band saw, contractors table saw, and router and table. All of it Craftsman. I know now that the table saw was a very poor choice on my part. I need a saw more geared for furniture/cabinets. I am determined to develop some skills before I start buying better equipment though. I do need to invest in some hand tools. I do have a very old hand miter saw and guide, I think it is a Stanley model but cant be sure. I have two very old brace drills and some old bits. I have pictures of those if yall are interested. I live between Houston & Humble.

Joseph,
    welcome to the Family! Don't sell your saw short, there are plenty of projects built with contractors saws (even benchtop/direct drive style). Simply tell yourself it may be 'easier' with _____ (fill in the blank with your favorite wish-list tool), but it can be done with what you have !
    -Ned

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Welcome Joseph,
    I happen to know where (h)UMBLE Texas is. You have a good start on making a lot of stuff without doing any upgrades just feel free to ask question. By all mean post some pictures of your hand tools and also any projects you've done. We have quite a few Texans here in the Family.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Welcome...there are some great guys and girls here

welcome and a great many of us started with craftsman tools so dont let thse tools stop you and let us know if there is anything we can do to help you on your way into more skill sets no question is adumb question and all of us here are more than ready to help you out..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Welcome Joseph great to have you here. Any tools are a good way to start and nothing wrong with craftsman tools I and many others have them. Do show us what you have and built, would like to see them. Again welcome and post away

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Joseph,
    welcome to the Family! Don't sell your saw short, there are plenty of projects built with contractors saws (even benchtop/direct drive style). Simply tell yourself it may be 'easier' with _____ (fill in the blank with your favorite wish-list tool), but it can be done with what you have !
    Your right of course, but had I known, I would have done better. Its my fault really, the information was there, I just didnt look. Thank You for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Welcome Joseph,
    I happen to know where (h)UMBLE Texas is. You have a good start on making a lot of stuff without doing any upgrades just feel free to ask question. By all mean post some pictures of your hand tools and also any projects you've done. We have quite a few Texans here in the Family.
    I am familiar with your neck of the woods too. Lived in Phoenix and Glendale for years. I sold a successful paint contractor company and the client list for a nice chunk out there. Wish I had that money now.
    I need planes. I have one. It is a Stanley 102 and from what I've read, nobody like it.

I have just now come into possession of these hand tools. My dad, who got them when his dad died, put them up in his shop and never touched them again. I would like to make them usable

I dont even know what some of them are. Not all the pictures took. I resized them too. Guess I will look at getting them smaller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some Woodworking tools 001.jpgResized.jpg   Some Woodworking tools 002.jpgResized.jpg   Some Woodworking tools 004.jpgResized.jpg   Some Woodworking tools 005.jpgresized.jpg   Some Woodworking tools 010.jpgresized.jpg  

Last edited by Joseph DOrazio; 08-24-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Daffy Duck had a gun to my head

Welcome Joseph
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Welcome, and remember that the only dumb question is the one not asked. Seems like you're off to a good start.

Welcome, Joseph. Looks like you have some goodies there. Pick one and we'll help you get it to user stage. There are ways to remove rust and repair and replace parts as needed.

Don't get in a rush for new stuff. Learn how to restore, maintain and use what you have. Then you will be a whole lot smarter about what you will want to spend your money on later. At any rate, a whole lot smarter than some of us!