Hello

Hi, I am 42 and have absolutely no woodworking skills. I do have the desire. I own a Craftsman compound miter saw, band saw, contractors table saw, and router and table. All of it Craftsman. I know now that the table saw was a very poor choice on my part. I need a saw more geared for furniture/cabinets. I am determined to develop some skills before I start buying better equipment though. I do need to invest in some hand tools. I do have a very old hand miter saw and guide, I think it is a Stanley model but cant be sure. I have two very old brace drills and some old bits. I have pictures of those if yall are interested. I live between Houston & Humble.

Joseph,
welcome to the Family! Don't sell your saw short, there are plenty of projects built with contractors saws (even benchtop/direct drive style). Simply tell yourself it may be 'easier' with _____ (fill in the blank with your favorite wish-list tool), but it can be done with what you have !

Welcome Joseph,
I happen to know where (h)UMBLE Texas is. You have a good start on making a lot of stuff without doing any upgrades just feel free to ask question. By all mean post some pictures of your hand tools and also any projects you've done. We have quite a few Texans here in the Family.

welcome and a great many of us started with craftsman tools so dont let thse tools stop you and let us know if there is anything we can do to help you on your way into more skill sets no question is adumb question and all of us here are more than ready to help you out..

Welcome Joseph:wave: great to have you here. Any tools are a good way to start and nothing wrong with craftsman tools I and many others have them. Do show us what you have and built, would like to see them. Again welcome and post away:)

Joseph,
welcome to the Family! Don't sell your saw short, there are plenty of projects built with contractors saws (even benchtop/direct drive style). Simply tell yourself it may be 'easier' with _____ (fill in the blank with your favorite wish-list tool), but it can be done with what you have !
Your right of course, but had I known, I would have done better. Its my fault really, the information was there, I just didnt look. Thank You for the welcome.

Welcome Joseph,
I happen to know where (h)UMBLE Texas is. You have a good start on making a lot of stuff without doing any upgrades just feel free to ask question. By all mean post some pictures of your hand tools and also any projects you've done. We have quite a few Texans here in the Family.
I am familiar with your neck of the woods too. Lived in Phoenix and Glendale for years. I sold a successful paint contractor company and the client list for a nice chunk out there. Wish I had that money now.
I need planes. I have one. It is a Stanley 102 and from what I've read, nobody like it.

I have just now come into possession of these hand tools. My dad, who got them when his dad died, put them up in his shop and never touched them again. I would like to make them usable

I dont even know what some of them are. Not all the pictures took. I resized them too. Guess I will look at getting them smaller

Attachments

• Some Woodworking tools 001.jpgResized.jpg
    Some Woodworking tools 001.jpgResized.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Some Woodworking tools 002.jpgResized.jpg
    Some Woodworking tools 002.jpgResized.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Some Woodworking tools 004.jpgResized.jpg
    Some Woodworking tools 004.jpgResized.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Some Woodworking tools 005.jpgresized.jpg
    Some Woodworking tools 005.jpgresized.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Some Woodworking tools 010.jpgresized.jpg
    Some Woodworking tools 010.jpgresized.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Welcome, Joseph. Looks like you have some goodies there. Pick one and we'll help you get it to user stage. There are ways to remove rust and repair and replace parts as needed.

Don't get in a rush for new stuff. Learn how to restore, maintain and use what you have. Then you will be a whole lot smarter about what you will want to spend your money on later. At any rate, a whole lot smarter than some of us! :rofl::rofl:

joesph that box of auger bits is a valuable piece the box is the first one i have seen intact and still has the decals on it protect that for sure if it were mine i would take the drills out and put it in a safe place..as for your other tools evaporust is your friend it will clean a lot them up almost like new..it can be gotten at harbor freight..good luck on your journey and think of the ones before you that used those tools they are watchun from above:)

Thank all of Yall for the welcome

joesph that box of auger bits is a valuable piece the box is the first one i have seen intact and still has the decals on it protect that for sure if it were mine i would take the drills out and put it in a safe place..as for your other tools evaporust is your friend it will clean a lot them up almost like new..it can be gotten at harbor freight..good luck on your journey and think of the ones before you that used those tools they are watchun from above:)

Larry, the box is trying to come apart. I want to restore the box but I dont know enough yet to do so. I will bring the box inside. Thank You for telling me. I thought it was a one off box or something.

Thank all of Yall for the welcome

Larry, the box is trying to come apart. I want to restore the box but I dont know enough yet to do so. I will bring the box inside. Thank You for telling me. I thought it was a one off box or something.

dont try to fix it,,,just preserve what you have.. once you try to change it the value goes away.. like most antiques:thumb: