Can I use a disc grinder as a cut off tool?

I got this one recently: "Can I use a disc grinder as a cut off tool?"

My first thought was - of course it can, but what are you trying to cut and why would you use a disc grinder to cut with?

I wrote back to ask what they were trying to cut, but since I'm not a woodworker or heavy tool user I never know if there's some inside jargon going on in these questions.

Does "cut off tool" mean anything besides, say, a SAW?

Is there enough in this question to answer reasonably?

Thanks guys.

G

I got this one recently: "Can I use a disc grinder as a cut off tool?"
My first thought was - of course it can, but what are you trying to cut and why would you use a disc grinder to cut with?

I don't see any answer to what material is involved - an angle grinder with an abrasive cut-off wheel can cut a lot of materials. The one it's probably least suited for is wood. Depending on the wood you might end up with a workshop full of smoke. In any case the cut will wander a lot more in wood than it would in metal or PVC, for example.

Sure can.
Ever watch American Chopper?
4" angle grinder /with metal cutoff wheel.

Don

Will a little pancake compressor run that thing for occasional use?

Jay

It says it consumes 6 CFM, so what does you pancake compressor produce?

I use the 4" angle grinders for cut off too, there are a LOT of different cut off discs out there, from normal mild steel, Aluminum, Stainless Steel etc.

Two hands, leather gloves, the guard in place, safety glasses, a full face shield and some hearing protection are in order. Add to that, when cutting steel, they throw a ton of sparks.

I saw a guy in a body shop cut his hand off at the wrist, he was too lazy to use a wrench to replace the grinding disc, he would cradle the grinder in on hand, against his body, and then take the disc off with the other hand, well somehow, he bumped the on switch.......:eek: Yeah, he did not unplug it either :rolleyes:

had to learn how to write with his left hand, and drive, do up his jeans, etc. etc.

They are a VERY useful tool, but you got to handle them with respect.

Don

Will a little pancake compressor run that thing for occasional use?

Jay

jay, a pancake compressor will run any air tool.......untill it runs out of air.....then you wait for it to recharge and go at it again....think of an air tool as an open line.......how long will your compressor blow air forcefully through a 1/8" hole......or a 1/4" hole....tod

Thanks guys

Stu I should have "clicked through" didn't notice the specs before I posted!

Tod

My compressor says 3.7 SCFM @40 PSI so I'm guess that there would be a LOT of compressor cycling going on. Does SCFM mean Sporadic --that it isn't rated for continuous operation -- can't imagine that it is given the fact that it is an oiless system.

Not complaining, the little guy runs my nailers just fine. Don't have a lot of space and/or need right now to upgrade to a big air system.

Jay