Thread: Storage rack for wood dowels

Storage rack for wood dowels

I'm not sure if this is the correct category but maybe admin can advise. I use wood dowels in just about every project I make and it is a real pain to keep them organized. I finally came up with a system that works really well (for me anyway) so I thought I would share it. Here is a picture of the rack:

I use PVC pipe mounted on a sheet of 1/4" plywood. Each piece of PVC has a slight angle cut at the top which allows me to install a countersunk flathead screw from the inside of the pipe as shown in the following photo:

At the bottom I installed a 3/4" wood disk inside the pipe. I installed one screw in the front of the pipe to keep the disk in place. Then I installed another screw from the back of the plywood into the pipe and into the disk. To make the disk, cut of about 1/2" of each pipe size. Then set the piece you just cut off on top of a scrap piece of 3/4" and trace the inside diameter. Cut the disk and sand to fit.

I mounted a strip of 1 x 2 around the perimeter of the back of the plywood to attach the plywood to the wall and to provide a solid surface for the top mounting screws for each pipe.

There are three different sizes of PVC pipe, 3", 2", and 1". Each size has four lengths: 30", 15", 9", and 5".

This project is probably is not exactly a woodworkers dream come true but for me it is something that has proven to be very useful and is something that I would not give-up in my shop.
    Ken
    Wood worker wannabee
    W0CSC
    Semper FI

looks like that worked just fine,, and as for where to put your thread its ok here its a project, but ti think it would fit better in the general woodworking forum but we arent very fussy here.. flat work projects tend to be cabinent or tables or anything not done on a lathe ,,,the turners have ther eown area where they can show there work and get questions answered as well/// we need to keep them in another room the tend to be bothersome sometimes
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    as for where to put your thread its ok here its a project, but ti think it would fit better in the general woodworking forum but we arent very fussy here..
    Or in "Jigs and Fixtures"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Schweim View Post
    I use wood dowels in just about every project I make and it is a real pain to keep them organized. I finally came up with a system that works really well (for me anyway) so I thought I would share it.
    I've used a single 4" PVC pipe for a while, but all the dowels/sizes stored in just one pipe. This is a neat way to separate them and cut down on the frustration associated with having to dig through them all to find a specific size.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Or in "Jigs and Fixtures"

I've used a single 4" PVC pipe for a while, but all the dowels/sizes stored in just one pipe. This is a neat way to separate them and cut down on the frustration associated with having to dig through them all to find a specific size.
    I was thinking the same thing, Rennie you took the words right out of my fingers Nice idea Ken

Excellent idea Ken. I have thrown out bits of dowel only to want them back the next day and go scratching in the bin. You solved the problem. Now i just gotta make it.
    cheers