Storage rack for wood dowels

Ken Schweim

I'm not sure if this is the correct category but maybe admin can advise. I use wood dowels in just about every project I make and it is a real pain to keep them organized. I finally came up with a system that works really well (for me anyway) so I thought I would share it. Here is a picture of the rack:

Wooddowelrack.jpg

I use PVC pipe mounted on a sheet of 1/4" plywood. Each piece of PVC has a slight angle cut at the top which allows me to install a countersunk flathead screw from the inside of the pipe as shown in the following photo:

Wooddowelracktopmount.jpg

At the bottom I installed a 3/4" wood disk inside the pipe. I installed one screw in the front of the pipe to keep the disk in place. Then I installed another screw from the back of the plywood into the pipe and into the disk. To make the disk, cut of about 1/2" of each pipe size. Then set the piece you just cut off on top of a scrap piece of 3/4" and trace the inside diameter. Cut the disk and sand to fit.

Dowelstoragerackbottom.jpg

I mounted a strip of 1 x 2 around the perimeter of the back of the plywood to attach the plywood to the wall and to provide a solid surface for the top mounting screws for each pipe.

There are three different sizes of PVC pipe, 3", 2", and 1". Each size has four lengths: 30", 15", 9", and 5".

This project is probably is not exactly a woodworkers dream come true but for me it is something that has proven to be very useful and is something that I would not give-up in my shop.

looks like that worked just fine,, and as for where to put your thread its ok here its a project, but ti think it would fit better in the general woodworking forum but we arent very fussy here..:D:thumb: flat work projects tend to be cabinent or tables or anything not done on a lathe ,,,the turners have ther eown area where they can show there work and get questions answered as well/// we need to keep them in another room the tend to be bothersome sometimes:rofl::rofl::rofl:

as for where to put your thread its ok here its a project, but ti think it would fit better in the general woodworking forum but we arent very fussy here..:D:thumb:

Or in "Jigs and Fixtures":D:wave:

I use wood dowels in just about every project I make and it is a real pain to keep them organized. I finally came up with a system that works really well (for me anyway) so I thought I would share it.
I've used a single 4" PVC pipe for a while, but all the dowels/sizes stored in just one pipe. This is a neat way to separate them and cut down on the frustration associated with having to dig through them all to find a specific size.:thumb:

Or in "Jigs and Fixtures":D:wave:

I've used a single 4" PVC pipe for a while, but all the dowels/sizes stored in just one pipe. This is a neat way to separate them and cut down on the frustration associated with having to dig through them all to find a specific size.:thumb:

I was thinking the same thing, Rennie you took the words right out of my fingers:) Nice idea Ken:thumb:

Excellent idea Ken. I have thrown out bits of dowel only to want them back the next day and go scratching in the bin. You solved the problem. Now i just gotta make it.:thumb: