Weather Folklore

Can I get some weather folklore from you folks? I need the old stuff. Stuff grandpa would say right before it happened. Stuff like if it rains on Easter Sunday, it will rain the next 7 Sundays.

My Dad told me that you could tell the severity and length of a storm by watching the birds. If the storm is going to be a short one the birds stay in the trees. If the storm is going to be a long one the birds fly around and collect food. :dunno:

if it rain before 7 oclock it will quit before 11 oclock

The amount of "fuzz" on a wooly worm indicates the severity or lack thereof for the coming winter.

The width of the stripe on a wooly worm,,,,,,,,,,, add last part of above sentence.

If the cows are laying down, it is going to rain.

If you hear the thunder roar, go indoors.

If the dinner bell hanging outside is moving, it is windy.
If the dinner bell is wet, it is raining.
If the bell is covered in snow it is snowing.
If the bell is missing, you should have been in the basement!!

Wild creatures (deer, turkey, whatever is in your area) are out in larger numbers and actively feeding, a storm is coming in the next 24 hours.

Good luck on your paper Steve. You wil get what you plan for, don't plan for an F!!!

My Grandfather who was half Cherokee would say when the the sun was shinning and it was raining that "The devil is beating his wife" again.

another version say that when it are raining and the sun are shining that it would be raining again the next day at the same time

The thicker the winter coat on a horse, the more horrible the winter weather.

If the sun is out while it is raining, it won't rain long.

When the leaves are blowing in the wind upside down, they are calling for rain.

Be no "F's" with this group of ghost writers available!!!

It's always darkest just before it gets pitch black!

Also there is the Weather Predicting Rock....

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1120625.JPG
    P1120625.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: