Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yes Sharon, some projects actually do get finished.

Yes Sharon, some projects actually do get finished.

My wife claims that this project was over 10 years in progress, but I refute that. I am sure my that my first actual physical effort did not start until at most 5 or 6 years ago. I personally do not think you can count the initial design phase, normally a period of a few years. Nor can can you count the years required to fully think through the various construction methods that are available. Then there are the material selection choices that must be analyzed.

Yep, I am pretty sure, I did not start the foundation until about 5 years ago.

Here are some snapshots of the SketchUp model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fence Sketch 1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	48602

Name:	Fence Sketch 3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	48603

Name:	Fence Sketch 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	48604

It has been a more than a few weeks of cutting, nailing and screwing, but mostly cutting, cutting and more cutting to get where I am today. And where am I today, besides developing a real strong dislike for cedar and fencing in general?

I am almost finished, with two last panels to make and then the top cap that goes around the entire fence. This weekend should do it and then I will be a free man. I wonder how long it will take the scar from the shackle to fade from my ankle?

Pictures of part of the fence. More after this weekend when I finish.

Name:	Fence Photos 1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	48605

Name:	Fence Photos 2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	48606
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 08-24-2010 at 09:33 PM.

SWEET

Are you sure you didn't mean this message for Brent?

I like how it's just high enough to block out the surrounding houses, but not too high as to block the beautiful view of the trees you have there (something we don't have here).

So, but technically, it's not really done yet? We'll be waiting for the final pictures of proof.

Great looking fence Bill! It's funny. I was actually thinking ways to modify fence around the pool at the house we're buying. The wider gaps are a bit too wide and may not keep toddlers out so we were looking at ways to modify the fence to close it up some. I had something similar in mind, but hadn't thought about the horizontal pieces, just some wider pickets in the wider gaps or removing every other set and replacing them with planks.

Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

The fencing look AWESOME Bill Really like the design As said, high enough to block out the homes across the street but keep your great view. Now get it finished and then you can have more plane time So whats next after the fence

looks good captain,, and i bet rebecca alredy has your next project on the list,, oh by the way did you get those cabs done the white ones in her kitchen??

yup i am not standing still and rebecca told me to ask
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Nice fence Bill, you got me thinking i might not want to be building my own privacy wall on my deck.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Great looking fence Bill! It's funny. I was actually thinking ways to modify fence around the pool at the house we're buying. The wider gaps are a bit too wide and may not keep toddlers out so we were looking at ways to modify the fence to close it up some. I had something similar in mind, but hadn't thought about the horizontal pieces,
    Darren, you probably should check the fencing bylaws and/or building code in your area. I'm quite sure around here that they are quite restrictive about horizontal boards in fences precisely because they're so easy for young kids to climb.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Bill, that looks terrific. I would love to do something like that someday. It will be rewarding every time you step out there. I understand the dislike for that type of cedar. It can be annoying to work with after a spell.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Korn View Post
    So, but technically, it's not really done yet? We'll be waiting for the final pictures of proof.
    I think my wife was fearful that something will stop my progress and the fence will sit like this for another year or two, so she has hid my golf clubs and are holding them hostage!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    So whats next after the fence
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ...i bet rebecca alredy has your next project on the list,, oh by the way did you get those cabs done the white ones in her kitchen??
    All the inside "projects", like completing the kitchen are on hold as I complete eveything on the list that is outside. Well, not everything else or I would be out here in the winter working, but the big ticket items. Next is fixing some paving and then replacing the deck boards or at least flipping them.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I understand the dislike for that type of cedar. It can be annoying to work with after a spell.
    You are right Glenn. This low quality cedar will give you a splinter in a heartbeat and tends to irritate the throat and nasal passages. I was a little caviler about protecting myself at first, but that has all changed. I am always using a dust mask and have even taken to using my Trend Airsheild, which works great by the way.

There is a lot of waste with this wood. Sometimes after ripping, the stress in the wood is just so great that it is unusable with the amount of warp you get.
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 08-25-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Beautiful fence. Gives you privacy without looking like a prison gate. Wonderful design!