Yes Sharon, some projects actually do get finished.

Bill Satko

My wife claims that this project was over 10 years in progress, but I refute that. I am sure my that my first actual physical effort did not start until at most 5 or 6 years ago. I personally do not think you can count the initial design phase, normally a period of a few years. Nor can can you count the years required to fully think through the various construction methods that are available. Then there are the material selection choices that must be analyzed.

Yep, I am pretty sure, I did not start the foundation until about 5 years ago.

Here are some snapshots of the SketchUp model.

Fence Sketch 1.jpg

Fence Sketch 3.jpg

Fence Sketch 2.jpg

It has been a more than a few weeks of cutting, nailing and screwing, but mostly cutting, cutting and more cutting to get where I am today. And where am I today, besides developing a real strong dislike for cedar and fencing in general?

I am almost finished, with two last panels to make and then the top cap that goes around the entire fence. This weekend should do it and then I will be a free man. I wonder how long it will take the scar from the shackle to fade from my ankle?

Pictures of part of the fence. More after this weekend when I finish.

Fence Photos 1.jpg

Fence Photos 2.jpg

Last edited:
SWEET :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Are you sure you didn't mean this message for Brent? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I like how it's just high enough to block out the surrounding houses, but not too high as to block the beautiful view of the trees you have there (something we don't have here).

So, but technically, it's not really done yet? We'll be waiting for the final pictures of proof. :headbang::headbang:

Great looking fence Bill! It's funny. I was actually thinking ways to modify fence around the pool at the house we're buying. The wider gaps are a bit too wide and may not keep toddlers out so we were looking at ways to modify the fence to close it up some. I had something similar in mind, but hadn't thought about the horizontal pieces, just some wider pickets in the wider gaps or removing every other set and replacing them with planks.

DSCN1249.JPG

The fencing look AWESOME Bill:thumb::thumb::thumb: Really like the design:) As said, high enough to block out the homes across the street but keep your great view. Now get it finished and then you can have more plane time:D So whats next after the fence:huh:

looks good captain,,:thumb::thumb: and i bet rebecca alredy has your next project on the list,, oh by the way did you get those cabs done:) the white ones in her kitchen??

yup i am not standing still and rebecca told me to ask:):rofl:

Great looking fence Bill! It's funny. I was actually thinking ways to modify fence around the pool at the house we're buying. The wider gaps are a bit too wide and may not keep toddlers out so we were looking at ways to modify the fence to close it up some. I had something similar in mind, but hadn't thought about the horizontal pieces,

Darren, you probably should check the fencing bylaws and/or building code in your area. I'm quite sure around here that they are quite restrictive about horizontal boards in fences precisely because they're so easy for young kids to climb.:doh:

Bill, that looks terrific. I would love to do something like that someday. It will be rewarding every time you step out there. I understand the dislike for that type of cedar. It can be annoying to work with after a spell.

Thanks everyone.

So, but technically, it's not really done yet? We'll be waiting for the final pictures of proof. :headbang::headbang:

I think my wife was fearful that something will stop my progress and the fence will sit like this for another year or two, so she has hid my golf clubs and are holding them hostage!

So whats next after the fence:huh:

...i bet rebecca alredy has your next project on the list,, oh by the way did you get those cabs done:) the white ones in her kitchen??

All the inside "projects", like completing the kitchen are on hold as I complete eveything on the list that is outside. Well, not everything else or I would be out here in the winter working, but the big ticket items. Next is fixing some paving and then replacing the deck boards or at least flipping them.

I understand the dislike for that type of cedar. It can be annoying to work with after a spell.

You are right Glenn. This low quality cedar will give you a splinter in a heartbeat and tends to irritate the throat and nasal passages. I was a little caviler about protecting myself at first, but that has all changed. I am always using a dust mask and have even taken to using my Trend Airsheild, which works great by the way.

There is a lot of waste with this wood. Sometimes after ripping, the stress in the wood is just so great that it is unusable with the amount of warp you get.

Last edited:
I am almost finished, with two last panels to make and then the top cap that goes around the entire fence. This weekend should do it and then I will be a free man. I wonder how long it will take the scar from the shackle to fade from my ankle?

Pictures of part of the fence. More after this weekend when I finish.

Pics of the final product, or are the golf clubs still held hostage? :thumb::thumb::wave::wave::rofl::rofl:

That is a really great looking fence. It isn't a fence, it is a piece of art.

And just think---20 years from now you will really appreciate the cedar, it makes great kindling for starting fires in the woodstove or fireplace. That's known as recycling---I think.

Enjoy,

Jim

Pics of the final product, or are the golf clubs still held hostage? :thumb::thumb::wave::wave::rofl::rofl:

Hey Bill I bet you did not know you had a slave driver on the forum too. There is no escaping this work.:rofl::rofl:

OK, so not only do I nag Brent in person, I'm also nagging the whole forum. However, in my defense, Bill did set this deadline himself... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It is finished....well kind of. OK, I am still missing the top cap that goes around the entire fence. I actually completed the fence on Saturday and could not start the top cap, because I needed to be able to transport 14 foot lengths of 2x6 cedar from the lumber store. My Ford Ranger and the wife's Honda CRV were not going to do it unless we strapped an end on each vehicle! So I had to wait until Monday, until I could borrow a truck from work. I did that yesterday, so I plan to cut the top of cap with a slight peak to drain the rain. Speak of rain, it is for the next two days, which we need. I might be able to get a start installing the cap later this week, but it will require Saturday to finish.

I know Sharon has heard that before. :D

No pics, but maybe tonight.

Sunday was a day of cleanup, with me going to the recycle center with a truck load of cedar scrap. Broke my heart Jim, to give away some fantastic fire starter, but we don't have a real fireplace, just a gas one.

The wife was so happy with the fence, she gave me my golf clubs back so that I could go to the local range for an hour. The guys at the range were very surprised to see me, as everyone had thought I had died! Of course when I returned home, the clubs were re-confiscated. :(

You would think that finishing up a project (OK, almost finishing!) would reduce the "honey do" list, but the opposite happens. We were looking over the mighty fine fence and we started doing an assessment of the entire back yard. Bottom line is I now have a whole bunch of new items to do! :eek:

I am beginning to think that the concept of "home ownership" is a grand conspiracy by women to keep their men occupied and out of trouble!

Renting is really sounding like the sweet life; no mortgage and no home improvements chores!

Last edited:
just look at it as quality time with your better half bill,, cherish the quiet and complete support in your endeavors that she wants you to atain so that you can acquire another skill set that you can further your knowledge base in.. then you can look back and say what an accomplishment this has been and i am eager to do more for you dear.. as she heads off to the shopping mall:)

just look at it as quality time with your better half bill,, cherish the quiet and complete support in your endeavors that she wants you to atain so that you can acquire another skill set that you can further your knowledge base in.. then you can look back and say what an accomplishment this has been and i am eager to do more for you dear.. as she heads off to the shopping mall:)

OK, enough is enough. Where is Larry? Somebody must have hacked his account.