Refinish Question on Salad Bowl Set

Dan Mosley

I had a friend at work give me a salad bowl set that they wanted refinished. 1 salad bowl with 4 small bowls made out of Walnut, medium in color with a Laquer finish on them.

The first thing I did was to wipe them down well with laquer thinner and srcub off all the laquer. Then again washed them with clean laquer thinner and wiped down. After drying - they looked dry and lifeless.

Next, I have a 5gal bucket of BLO/MS/Varnish and I put them in to soak for a few days and will sand them with 220grit every 24hrs and return to soak.

Then, ill take them out and wipe down well and let them dry for a week or more. Ill post some pictures as soon as I take them out of soak.

Question: I am not going to use laquer on the insides of the bowls again like the person did before, and im wondering the best way to finish these for the person.
I could let dry and just 3 wheel buff ending with Renaissance wax.
Thoughts ??

I also posted this on another site and will let you know of any responses...........thanks for any input

Dan, if it were me, I would just to the homemade danish oil you are soaking them in. Once that is dry and you can't smell the oil anymore it is food safe. IMHO, salad bowls look good with just the oil finish. Plus the next time they need a touch up, all you need to do is a light sanding and then reapply the oil.

Mineral oil alone or with paraffin to obtain some luster but Olive oil can go rancid over time.

I am told that a lot. Our family, and many other ethnic families I know and have known, have used olive oil on their wood bowls for centuries with no sign of rancidity. I have never seen rancid olive oil. It has been found in Egyptian tombs not rancid after 3,000 years.
I do understand it can go rancid in California. But, that's California. What can I say? :rolleyes: