My First Mesquite Hollow Form

Wanted to share my first ever Mesquite hollow form. The wood was gifted to me by a friend who harvested the wood while in Texas this past winter. Seeing as how it was my first time turning Mesquite, I figured what better tribute than a Southwestern style hollow form! I know – no big surprise there! ;) Love how this wood turns and seriously love all that wild grain and color!

Mesquite HF, 6 ½” diameter x 4” high x 1/8” thick. Sanded to 400 grit and finished with Minwax Antique Oil and Renaissance wax.

Mesquite HF v1.jpg Mesquite HF v2.JPG Mesquite HF v3.JPG Mesquite HF v4.JPG

As always – your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Ya know Steve, you keep it up, you're gonna get the hang of these holler form thingies. :D

Great piece of wood, and superb results with it. :thumb:

I too was in Texas this past winter/spring (winter here/ spring there) :thumb:

A friend also rounded up some Mesquite. I haven't yet done anything with it. How is the wood to work with? , I like your form and the wood characteristics makes me drool with envy. Hope my piece fairs aw well. I plan a lidded box, After seeing your form, I must get with it ASAP.

Thanks for the kind words everyone - seriously appreciate it!

Bill - I found this wood was amazing to work with! I usually turn Cherry, Maple or White Birch and this Mesquite was easier to turn than any of them. Maybe it was just the sharp tools... but I really liked turning it and considered it a treat! I will be on the lookout for more Mesquite from this point forward!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of your piece of mesquite!

I've turned some mesquite and have a box of it but it is mostly pen blank size. A guy in Texas sent the box to me once just out of the kindness of his heart. It just showed up one day in my mail box. He was a member of the IAP forum. I made him a pen using it and wine bottle corks (because that was my thing at the time). He was very happy with the pen, we e-mailed back and forth a couple times and than he disappeared. No longer on the forum, no more e-mail. Never heard what happened to him. This is the mesquite/cork pen I sent to him. One of my first kit-less pens. Anyway, I liked the mesquite. Hope to get some larger pieces someday.

Attachments

• Pen 37 -3 500  8-2008.JPG
    Pen 37 -3 500 8-2008.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 7
I've turned some mesquite and have a box of it but it is mostly pen blank size. A guy in Texas sent the box to me once just out of the kindness of his heart. It just showed up one day in my mail box. He was a member of the IAP forum. I made him a pen using it and wine bottle corks (because that was my thing at the time). He was very happy with the pen, we e-mailed back and forth a couple times and than he disappeared. No longer on the forum, no more e-mail. Never heard what happened to him. This is the mesquite/cork pen I sent to him. One of my first kit-less pens. Anyway, I liked the mesquite. Hope to get some larger pieces someday.
In East Texas you cant hardly get rid of Mesquite. That stuff is invasive. You have to get all the root out of the ground or it will grow again.