3 small Pc's and subtracted 1

Dan Mosley

Three small turnings and we sat around and played with putting them together for fun........

Picture 1 - small vessel out of Mesquite
Picture 2 - Finial turned out of Mesquite
Picture 3 - Stand turned out of Mesquite
Picutre 4 - vessel with finial on
Picture 5 - vessel, finial, stand
End result................... Subtracted the stand my daughter thought the stand just didnt look right.

Attachments

• Step-1.jpg
    Step-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 29
  • Step-2.jpg
    Step-2.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Step-3.jpg
    Step-3.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Step-4.jpg
    Step-4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Step-5.jpg
    Step-5.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 25
Larry - I really like the mesquite because it has alot of character in the wood. I think it is a strong wood and its nice to turn wet or dry. It stays very stable thru the drying and does not do alot of moving from my experience. I have made alot of bowls from it and they sell fairly easy.

Lately, ive been doing alot of hollow forms out of it and have had very little problems - overall I would get more of it when I can........

As far as finishing it I think the best way to go is with shellac or laquer. The reason i say that is because it does require something for grain filler so the shellac or thinned laquer makes a good filler/sealer before you apply the top coats of finish.

Attached are some other picutres of larger hollow forms I did to give you a better idea of the colors and character of the wood.
Picture 1 - Rough shape
Picture 2 - starting to add the thinned laquer to seal and fill
Picture 3 - after several coats of sealer
Picture 4 - after sealer and sanding - now up and ready for final coats of finish

Attachments

• Start-1.jpg
    Start-1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Start-4.jpg
    Start-4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Start-5.jpg
    Start-5.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Saturday-1.jpg
    Saturday-1.jpg