Father Son day

Drew Watson

Just something to share with the family. Did a father son day with my youngest on Sunday. Drove up island so that he could jump out of a perfectly good airplane. :thumb: I did it 15 yrs ago and wanted to be there for this. :thumb: If my body wasn't banged up so much I might have done it again. At least one good thing happened this week as I was given lay off notice at work again yesterday. :doh: Oh well more time to spend in the shop again. :thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• James first jump and second 001 - Copy.JPG
    James first jump and second 001 - Copy.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 31
  • James first jump and second 169.JPG
    James first jump and second 169.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 28
  • James first jump and second 190.JPG
    James first jump and second 190.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 26
  • James first jump and second 193.JPG
    James first jump and second 193.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 24
  • James first jump and second 236.JPG
    James first jump and second 236.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 27
  • James first jump and second 256.JPG
    James first jump and second 256.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 28
  • James first jump and second 257.JPG
    James first jump and second 257.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 30
Great photos, Drew. I agree with Larry...he looks happier going up than coming down :)

And sorry to hear about the layoff. :( At least you're in good company.

Drew that is fantastic! He looks a little excited if you ask me! :D
Larry, I think the look is 100% concentration. I have tried to fly two handled kites from the ground, don't think I want to land a glider/chute like that! :eek::huh::rofl:

Yea he was excited about the entire thing. It is pretty intense to jump out of a plane for the first time and it shows on his face. They sent me a wing cam of him letting go of the plane but I don't know how to post that. he did two jumps and wants to do more to get his free fall ticket. It is an adreneline high better than any drug on the market and really safe to do. The oldest jumper they said they had was 72 yrs old but i think that was a tandem jump. This was James after he landed and the smile says it all. You just can't buy a smile like that. They gave him his certificate twice that day as he did the two jumps.

Attachments

• James first jump and second 157.JPG
    James first jump and second 157.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 22
  • James first jump and second 160.JPG
    James first jump and second 160.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 20
maybe concentration was what i saw because if he didnt like he surly wouldnt have went back for seconds in the same day:) glad for him and hope he gets to his goal..

That's awesome! What does it take to be able to do the jump on your own like that? Did he have to do a tandem first?

The first jumps are "assisted" Which means that the jump master throws your cute for you when you leave the plane very similar to the static line in the millitary and old movies, but instead of the back of the plane opening up you actually have to climb out the door onto the wheel while hanging onto the strut, then step off the wheel and after a few seconds let go of the strut. All this done at 85 mph and at 3000 ft. When I did it 15 yrs ago we had to re pack our own cutes for the second jump. They don't do that now and the entire sport is standerdized as opposed to having every club having it's own teaching method. It is actually easier to get out of the plane for the free fall at 10,000 ft as then you can just dive head first out of the plane. If i want to do it I would have to do the entire course again.