driving near 33rd st

Lookin good there Allen. Which Nortons did you get? I do a lot of honing with my Norton 4000/8000 combo. And I really like the Norton flattening stone, though there differing opinions on that one.

Use all those new toys, er I mean tools, well and long.

got the set of 220/1000 and 4000/8000 combo, comes with the flattening stone, which I questioned Joel about, he said its fine, and for me, Im sure its fine, and his dvd which I already own.
This week Im going to devote one night as sharpening night, cause one of my ashley isles chisels is missing a nice chunk, so Ill try to work on it, and if I cant get it decent after a few tries, I was going to actually ship it up to you.:D(not sure if Ill be able to fix this one, and Im upset I dropped it and it hit a piece of a bar clamp I had leaning against the table, and it chipped)

Allen, you are most welcome to ship the AI chisel to me. Heck, I'll even pay the return postage. Do you have a honing guide? I'd love to have a couple hours in the shop with you to show you my techniques, however misguided they may be.

Hang in there.

I think you bought an excellent set by the way. I have a 1200 older japanese waterstone that works well, otherwise I'd have bought the Norton 1K also.

When I bought my waterstones I heard many good things about the Nortons as well.

I love sharpening days. Clear everything off, get out all the tools, knives, etc that needs sharpening and have at it...

It can be sort of a relaxing thing to do, but if you are like me, you'll end up with clean shaven forearms... :rofl:

Brent, I enjoy sharpening too. It's kind of a sickness I think. I once attended a talk about sharpening by Chris Schwarz, who demeaned it and said it isn't a hobby....anyway, good for you.

I tried a little in the past with the paper.

I set the order up.

Im going to start with my cheapest set of marples chisels, not that they arent good tools. They were my least expensive.

They are in desperate need of a sharpening, so Ill start them with 220 and work all the way up.
Then Ill go over to my Ashley set.Only going to do the damaged chisel at 220, the others Ill start at 1000.
Then the 3 planes starting at 1000, and the new spokeshave, Ill just run the spokeshave across the 1000 once or twice, then up.
And I watched Joels dvd twice last night.
He makes it look pretty easy and straight foward.

What do you use for a guide? Or are you gonna do it freehand?

I've been too chicken to do it freehand, but have one of the Veritas MkII guides. It really makes things easy...

brent first few times use the guide but if you got it down with the guide try freehand your feel should be there,, your young enough to have full sensitivity in your fingers yet..the old guys never had guides they free handed it.. look at a old plane that hasnt been used in years but is in good shape and you can see the different angles and they still cut..

My dad taught me to sharpen free hand and I never regret it. Just take the iron or chisel and lay it on the stone using your finger tips rock it until you get a feel for the way the angle of the grind is and keeping that same angle sharpen away.

Like Larry said it's all in the finger tips. Oh and don't look at it learn to get the feel.

it will all be free hand.
Ive used sharpening paper in the past, just never took it too seriously.
Was preoccupied about ruining a tool.
Nothing I own collects dust, they just get full of dust because of alot of use.
I have to learn sooner or later, might as well jump in now.
Worst case scenario, Ill mess up some blades, and send them off to someone to correct for me. (ive ruined two bowl gauges with the grinder, but they were 3 dollar tools)
Im working the next 9 out of 10 days, so no shop time.
Sunday my son is coming over to help me sand down his chairs.
The following weekend, labor day, is driveway tar painting, so again, little shop time till second week sept.
Ill get to them before then.

brent first few times use the guide but if you got it down with the guide try freehand your feel should be there,, your young enough to have full sensitivity in your fingers yet..the old guys never had guides they free handed it.. look at a old plane that hasnt been used in years but is in good shape and you can see the different angles and they still cut..

My dad taught me to sharpen free hand and I never regret it. Just take the iron or chisel and lay it on the stone using your finger tips rock it until you get a feel for the way the angle of the grind is and keeping that same angle sharpen away.

Like Larry said it's all in the finger tips. Oh and don't look at it learn to get the feel.

Seems like it's a skill you can only develop if you do it a lot. I've tried a few times but I always seem to develop a bit of a 'rocker' that keeps from keeping it flat on the face. I have an even harder time with knives...

Like anything else, requires lots and lots of practice, I reckon...

For the few times I do it, the vertas jig lets me replicate the exact angle time after time...