Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Mandrel bushings?

Non Mandrel bushings?

Someone posted a link to a guy in Canada that sold several types of non-mandrel bushings. I bought some for Jr Gent's and Cigar's and was trying to get more info about the other mechanics's involved. Les said he didn't post it...anyone have a clue...I'm kinda lost?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

This guy sells them, but I don't think he is in Canada

http://www.penturnersproducts.com/

They are considered very good. I don't own any.. yet.

That's the guy. My question is what is needed for the head drive? I have a 60 degree tail stock and a spur drive for the head. I'm seeing an issue with friction and no grab on the head side. Ideas?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I have a 60' dead center for the head stock. I've turned a few blanks that way with no bushing, but it is dangerous. Too much pressure and you expand the tubes. Anyway you want a 60' dead center for the head stock. I can't remember where I got mine but I'm sure woodcraft, PSI or one of those types will have them, fact I bet JohnnyCNC has them on his site.

Here they are:

http://penturnersproducts.com/index....rd=dead+center
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 08-26-2010 at 03:05 AM.

johnnycnc has a reputation for quality. Aside from that, I don't see much difference between his offerings and regular 'no mandrel' turning.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    johnnycnc has a reputation for quality. Aside from that, I don't see much difference between his offerings and regular 'no mandrel' turning.
    Hi Frank; I'm guessing by "no mandrel turning", you are inserting the live & dead centers directly into the brass tube of the pen blank. This method to my way of thinking would have a tendency to expand the tube especially at the nib end as you turn down the wood.

Johnnycnc's bushings are inserted into the brass tube as well as are drilled out to 60 centres (no mandrel possible). This puts pressure around the outside rim of the brass tube with no danger of expanding the tube at either end.

This description is all very clear to me; I have no idea if I have clearly explained it to you!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron View Post
    Hi Frank; I'm guessing by "no mandrel turning", you are inserting the live & dead centers directly into the brass tube of the pen blank. This method to my way of thinking would have a tendency to expand the tube especially at the nib end as you turn down the wood.

Johnnycnc's bushings are inserted into the brass tube as well as are drilled out to 60 centres (no mandrel possible). This puts pressure around the outside rim of the brass tube with no danger of expanding the tube at either end.

This description is all very clear to me; I have no idea if I have clearly explained it to you!
    Nope. I use the bushings but no mandrel. For final sizing down to bushing size without the bushing I do remove it. I am very careful not to use too much pressure at that point.
    (BTW, this is my most frequently posted pic. I have used it here several times and the pen forums love it.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails no mandrel small.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Nope. I use the bushings but no mandrel. For final sizing down to bushing size without the bushing I do remove it. I am very careful not to use too much pressure at that point.
    (BTW, this is my most frequently posted pic. I have used it here several times and the pen forums love it.)
    Hi Frank; What you are really describing as I know it in the penturning world is bushing to bushing turning. Maybe it's just semantics!

The difference between regular bushings (stamped steel) and johnnycnc's bushings (cnc metal lathe turned) are a guarantee of perfect roundness which I have found to not be the case in some stamped bushings.

Your mileage may vary though!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

If I understand you Mack, the stamped/mandrel bushings fit against the end of the tube and everything slides on the mandrel's "axle". Some bushings for the larger pens and items do fit inside the tube yet push against the end of the tube as well as slide on the axle of the mandrel. So the bushings you use for mandrelless (no mandrel) turning basically are stepped bushings that can easily be solid metal as long as they have a center dimple for the centers (be they live or dead). Thus the bushings fit into the tubes, push against the end of the tubes, fit between the tailstock and head of the lathe, no mandrel used/nor could one be used if you wanted to with these bushings.
    Even though I have never turned without a mandrel, is this the process?
    Personally, I have not had problems unless it were man made by me, so will stay at this time with my mandrel as I already have hundreds of sets of bushings!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    If I understand you Mack, the stamped/mandrel bushings fit against the end of the tube and everything slides on the mandrel's "axle". Some bushings for the larger pens and items do fit inside the tube yet push against the end of the tube as well as slide on the axle of the mandrel. So the bushings you use for mandrelless (no mandrel) turning basically are stepped bushings that can easily be solid metal as long as they have a center dimple for the centers (be they live or dead). Thus the bushings fit into the tubes, push against the end of the tubes, fit between the tailstock and head of the lathe, no mandrel used/nor could one be used if you wanted to with these bushings.
    Even though I have never turned without a mandrel, is this the process?
    Personally, I have not had problems unless it were man made by me, so will stay at this time with my mandrel as I already have hundreds of sets of bushings!!
    Hi Jonathon; You have described the situation exactly.

Now consider Frank's photo, he is turning mandrel less with bushings meant for a mandrel. No reason why you need the mandrel, unless you want to turn both pieces of a pen at once. I'm not in that much of a hurry, so I just turn one piece at a time.
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON