Scratch beading

Rob Keeble

Ok so this amateur decide he is going to smarten up some wood befor use in a project.

I have bought a couple of beading blades from LV and made a very quick and dirty scratch tool to hold the beading blades.

Tried it out but it was tough going. So i am pretty sure i am doing something wrong.

Are there any tips you guys can throw me to help me get started. I am putting a round bead about 3/4 of an in in from the edge on a piece of mahogany. Go to do 4 pieces totally about 70 inches. Dont want to mess it up. Have some to practice on and already did, but i dont think my technique is at all right.

Any advice welcome thanks.

they all have lead you right rob when i done it on my hutch it too found out the hard way on the grain factor and when you have to go in a arch its more trouble light cuts to get your track started and then progessivly more but it likes to jump the track so be in control of it and dont get lax in the passes..

Thanks guys for the advice. I will post some pics when i get it going. Wood i am using is African Mahogany the grain is fairly straight but the wood is stingy so i will have to watch tear out.

That John Lloyd article is great. I'll +1 on grain reading and patience. Rather than set the cutter at a shallow depth, I set my cutter at full depth and then just eased my way down to full depth.