DC Mods - A question...

Jason Beam

Along the same lines as Vaughn's unsuccessful "tube" addition, I had this idea that I wanted to bounce off everybody to see if you folks think it might work (before I go ripping apart the DC!)....

Instead of putting a tube downward into the bag area, what if there was say a 15-17" long tube going UPWARD into the canister area? Not all the way up, of course, but enough to sort of extend the height of the swirling debris area? If it were short enough not to hinder airflow and tall enough to allow more particles a little more time to slow down and fall into the bag, wouldn't that keep the filter from getting clogged as quickly?

I'm about to undertake the neutral vane idea and this one popped into my head so I figured I'd bounce it off the collective :)

Thoughts? :)

Jason. my main concern would be when dust and debris does blow around and gets up above the collar, it won't have a way to fall back into the bottom collection bag.

With the collar removed from mine, I get hardly any big stuff going up into the filter area, but after it's turned off, I can tap the filter a few times and see a bit of dust falling into the lower bag. With the upward collar idea, it seems like that dust would not be able to fall back down into the bag.

That said, like Tod mentions, sheet metal and pop rivets are cheap. Might be worth a try just to see what happens. :dunno:

Oh blocking the fall back into the bag path does pose a challenge.

I did notice that Bill Pentz has a quick blurb suggesting using window screen on the inside of the canister to help keep most of the big stuff out of the pleats. I'll probably add that for sure along with a neutral vane, too.

I figure i'm gonna be buying some sheet metal anyway, the idea struck. The whole idea, though, was to make keeping the pleats clean a little easier. I have a feeling that blocking the downward path for the dust that DOES make it up there would make it harder to keep the pleats clean.

Hmm ...

Trying to eke out every ounce of performance I can :D