Family Woodworking from your mobile device

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought we'd let everyone know that we've enabled a couple of third party plug-ins that let you access Family Woodworking from your mobile devices using the apps below.

Most devices have a web browser for viewing our site, but for those that have done this know that it's a little slow and takes a lot of scrolling and zooming in and out to read posts. These apps integrate with the vBulletin software to provide a secure and easy to use interface for reading/writing posts and viewing and uploading pictures. Each also let you read and respond to PM's.

TapaTalk (http://www.tapatalk.com/) which provides a free and paid version of their application, check the website for differences. They provide apps to run on iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, Android, and Nokia. Vaughn and I have both tested this software. He's using it on his iPhone, I've ran it on both my Blackberry and now my Android based phone. Sorry don't remember the cost, but if I recall it was something like $2 or $3.

Forum Runner (http://www.forumrunner.net) which provides a free and paid ($1.99) version for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. This software provides much of the same experience of Tapatalk, but also will push PM's to your device for those that want to know when they've been contacted. Vaughn is currently testing this software and says that it seems to have a quicker refresh time.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Do you know if there is anything out there for windows mobile devices?

One of these?

52906.jpg

:rofl:

I'm waiting to get into the forumrunner beta for Android, so have no feedback on it. I do use the tapatalk on my android and it works as well as it did on my ipod touch.

I think from an admin's point of view, the forum runner appears to be better integrated into vbulletin to me at least.

Brent, I'd say Forum Runner wins hands down. It's faster, and I've had no problems when it's running. I just have to remember to exit all the way out when I'm done using it, though, or else it keeps me logged into the forum, thus messing up the "New Posts" search.

Not sure I'll use it much, since I'm glued to my chair more hours than I care to think of everyday, but it's fun to play with a new toy, er, I mean it's nice to learn about mobile operating system funcionality on a company supplied piece of hardware.