My wife thinks I'm nuts - and she's probably right

ken werner

I spent a few hours yesterday making and tuning a spill plane.

A spill plane does one thing only. It makes spills. Spills? They are long curly shavings used in the day before matches to say light a pipe or a lamp. You light it in a fire, and carry the fire to where you need it. Ebenezer Scrooge used one in the 1930s version of A Christmas Carol.

Anyway, here are the pictures. And BTW, I think the better half IS right. After all, I do have a lighter, and more than a few strike anywhere matches.

Attachments

• IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6090.jpg
    IMG_6090.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6091.JPG
    IMG_6091.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6092.jpg
    IMG_6092.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 51
Very cool Ken. I'm sure those would come in handy for someone doing crafts too. My mother-in-law is a certified floral designer. I'm sure she could figure out something to do with them.

I learned something new today!! Thanks. That is cool, yep, a crafter/florist/etc should have a hayday with those shavings! Oh, I'll reserve judgement, no by golly, us guys got to stick together!!!!!!! You aren't any crazier now than you were yesterday!!!!!!!!!

A new thing for me also.
Being a historical reenactor, I have to wonder if spillings were carried and used by folks traveling the wilderness for fire starting.
Definitely interesting.

Ken tell your wife there are more like you out there. I have been wanting to do this for unkown reason but since i saw LV bring out this spill plane.

Check out their pictures of how they end up. Really cool. I can see someone going round back in the day with one of those spills and lighting candles or parafin lamps.:thumb:

I prefer your plane though.:D Wonder how many $50 spill planes LV sells. :huh:

Frank, my guess is they are more for fire moving in the home, than fire starting in the field.

Rob, the LV model has tighter curls than mine. I guess I have to do some better tuning up. Or maybe it's a function of the angles. I saw the one you linked to awhile ago, but I can't justify spending $50 for it, even though it really looks nice.