Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member

I've been hanging around for a few days trying to figure out the navigation of the site but now it is time to say, hello.

I'm from Virginia. I hung up my spurs over a decade ago, sold the house, car and furniture and went cruising. My wife an I spent eight years wintering in the Florida Keys and Bahamas and summering in the Cheaspeake, or New England or Canada. It was a great way of life but after a while, even ice cream gets boring so we are back as "dirt dwellers".

I have always enjoyed working with wood and on the boat, I had a lot of chances to practice sanding and varnishing. I have always enjoyed making sawdust and recently I had a chance to pick up an old Sears lathe with tube ways and a set of tools, so I started turning and making chips as well. Working with the late the first thing that I learned is that I didn't know anything. The catches were exciting!

One big problem in learning how to turn was where to get the wood to turn into chips. I just could not envision buying a nice piece of wood and turning it into chips. Well, to my amazement and delight, a big old hickory tree just toppled over in my back yard. Talk about an unlimited supply of chips! I've been producing about a garbage can a week. The only problem is that it is like a big old hunk of beef - I gotta figure out how to cut it up and cure it.

I'm still in the "beads and coves" stage of practicing but I have made a bunch of scoops and spoons, a few tops and a couple of bowls from the tree - nothing fancy, but its a start and it sure is a lot of fun and I have not made a dent in the supply.

Portland, Oregon
    Welcome to the family Fred!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Welcome aboard Fred glad you came back to being a land lover and joined the family and if you haven't noticed yet we all LOVE pictures.

A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Delton, Michigan
    welcome fred and i too like seeing the sights some... glad you deiced to drop in to stay awhile and hope to see more of your posts
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the family Fred!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Welcome Fred !!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

North of Reno, NV...middle of the desert
    Welcome to the FWW family, Fred

Reno NV
    Welcome aboard Fred! Always dreamed of the cruising liveaboard lifestyle, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a hoarder to fit everything on one boat!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Welcome and greetings from Gator Country!