drunk guy steals plane at airshow

I've seen that before, but it's great to watch every time. That guy has some awesome skills. I wonder how many planes he broke learning to do that. :D

In late 1941, when I was learning to fly, the airport had an "Airport Day." There were huge crowds, chances (tickets) to win flying lessons, free airplane rides, etc. etc. Anyway, there was a guy who did all of the stuff shown on the attached URL. Interestingly, it was also done in a Piper Cub. Also interesting, my first lesson was in a Piper Cub and I would have sworn some of those scenes were of me on that flight...Except the plane I flew was bright yellow (kind'a like Fords, they were practically all one color, black for Ford, cadmium yellow for Pipers).

My avitar shows my dad and me (age 4) after my first airplane ride. He was the pilot. I still have the goggles and the manual for the airplane. The manual for the entire airplane was much smaller than a manual for an altimiter today. The manual covered how to service, repair, etc. the engine...how to recover the airframe with fabric...and included flying lessons (In some parts of the USA that's how you learned to fly in those good ole days).

The airplane was an Eaglerock; the year 1929. An Eaglerock was a bi-plane (2 wings like WWI fighter planes some of you have seen in the movies). Oh yes, the location was San Bernardino, Calif (a hundred years before zip codes). To say the least, I had an interesting father and an interesting life. Before my time my dad raced motorcycles, cars and boats. Mom made him stop when my sister came into the world...I wonder why?

Time to shut up again Bradley.

Enjoy,

Jim

How cool, Jim.

I worked for Flying Tigers for four+ years (the young need not Google). Dabbled with flying, in fact I thought the first video was of me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I did however, be probably one of the only armatures to successfully land a 747 at LAX in the simulator without crashing (shaking in my boots the whole time). I got/had to fly up in the cockpits when dead-heading across the globe. Pretty fun in retrospect.

Small plane stalls are still the most thrill you will ever have. Headed straight down to the ocean (off of Long Beach). Also was in a real 747 test stall on it's maiden flight after some runway damages (American Airlines crashed into it on the runway in Chicago).

I grew up in Barstow, so know exactly where SB is (oops).

Good times.

Last edited: