Ulu cutting board

This is a Ulu cutting board I made for a customer. It is 9" X 9" X 1 1/2". The bowl area is 7" in dia. and 3/4" deep. The wood is walnut with several coats of mineral on it.

The board was held using my vacuum chuck in order to hollow out the bowl area.

Any comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• ulu cutting board.JPG
    ulu cutting board.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 48
How else would we peel all those crawfish and it's great for skinning out neutra rats, Frank.:rofl:

Jim, a ulu is a knife that the eskimos use to skin out seal. Do a google search for Ulu and you will get quite a bit of information about them.

Bobby
Louisiana

Vaughn, I don't know what the deal is with the colors in the picture. The actual color of the wood is dark brown with some light shades of brown. The camera was on auto focus but I'm not real happy with the way this camera takes pictures.

Bobby
Louisiana

I have no idea what an Ulu is. The bowl looks nice though.

Jim, the Ulu is an Eskimo knife used to cut up there catches, whale, seal, etc. The blade is curved hence the circular depression in the board. Here is a picture I stole from the "ulufactory.com."

Ulu.jpg

Here is a cartoon I am throwing in for free.:thumb:

Cats make the best mousetraps.jpg

Vaughn, I don't know what the deal is with the colors in the picture. The actual color of the wood is dark brown with some light shades of brown. The camera was on auto focus but I'm not real happy with the way this camera takes pictures.

Bobby
Louisiana
Bobby, you might check and see if your camera will let you adjust or reset the white balance. What camera do you have? Maybe some of us here can help you figure it out, and learn something new ourselves.

Looks really good, the shape etc, but the colors sure are off.

See if your camera has a setting for white balance, if it does, take it off auto and try the others. Mine has Sunny, cloudy, lamp (for incandescent lights) and fluorescent as well. The make a BIG difference on how the pic looks.

I tried to adjust the hue and color balance on your pic..........

ulu_cutting_board.jpg

..........is that any better?

Below is a series of pics I took of the same subject, at the same time of day, but with two different settings, one the fluorescent light, the other a Halogen spot light, and then the various settings on the camera.

Cheers!

stand.jpg

Can't resist...here's my attempt at tweaking the colors a bit. I hope you don't mind, Bobby. ;) Whatever color it really is, it's a sweet looking cutting board.

ulu cutting boardT.jpg

Hey Bobby,
What a cool cutting board! When I went to cooking classes, we used a mezzaluna knife - Italian for half moon. Its a lot like an ulu, but we only had flat cutting boards. We rocked the knife back and forth to chop herbs. We used it for pesto a lot, had a much better flavor made by hand than pesto from a blender. It really worked fast. Wish I had a board like yours then:rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments, they are greatly appreciated. Also thanks for the suggestions with the photo.

Stuart, that is still too much reds and pinks.

Vaughn, the camera is a Nikon Coolpix 775. You can take the white balance aff of auto and make manual adjustments. Since the cutting board has already been taken to the store for the customer, I can't take more pictures of it, but I do still have some of the walnut left that I used for the cutting board. I may play around with the settings and take some pictures of the wood. If I can get a good representation of the color, I'll post it here.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Bobby
Louisiana