Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium stand

Aquarium stand

Well it has been a long go on this stand I needed to build for a 90 gallon aquarium that was given to us. Design as you go build while redoing the canoe. I do over build just a little when it comes to everything that I build. This is framed in 2x4 and then covered all around ( but the face) in 3/4 inch oak skinned Plywood ( I know I could have done it in a glue up of real oak but time and cost is a factor) . Oh and on that note don't get the cabinet grade oak plywood stuff that they sell at Home depot Straight from China and the laminations are sub standard Tearout is huge, just garbage. Of course I was hiding all the edges so I didn't care much. I capped all the edges in Cherrywood and built the feet out of 2x4 oak and cherry laminated together and then turned them off on the lathe. I still have pull out drawers to build and doors to make and the light box on top to do. I will be building corners for the tank out of cherry to cap the glass edge and create the illusion that the entire thing is one big inset fish tank in the frame ( as I see it in my head and how it works out may be two different things). The top light will be in a box with a lifting front lid for access to the tank. Oh and I need two people to lift this monster as it weighs quite a bit. Mesurments are 48 1/2" X 18 1/2" x 32".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aquarium stand 001.JPG   Aquarium stand 004.JPG   Aquarium stand 007.JPG   Aquarium stand 008.JPG  
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Looks great!....should have no problem holding the weight. As for the problems you had with the ply from HD. I had a talk with the Dept Manager about the quality of those exact sheets you are talking about, and he whispered in my ear that it is a huge problem. I also told him his cherry, cedar, and pine boards, were crap as well. He knows it.

I went the extra 20 miles to find a Lowe's, and was quite happy with both the ply and flat boards they had. Since the options for lumber are thin down here, I don't have much choice. But HD will never get any more cash from me for the bad quality of wood they have.

Project looks good Drew. I like the look of the cherry and oak together...might have to consider that in one of my future projects.

I agree about the Home Depot plywood, it is crap. I've had entire sheets of it warp while stored along side some other oak ply that was from a local cabinet supply that didn't. Agree about the tear-out too, not to mention it's the thinnest veneer I've seen yet. If I've got the choice I'll go to lowes over Home Depot, the service at lowes is much better and quality seems to be so too.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Very neat Drew, agree on the HD stuff, man i hate that place now. As to the feet i think they cool, i like the bun feet look quiet a bit. Would have been nice to see them in a darker wood to make a bit more contrast but your way makes them less obvious.

Given what i saw tank stands in the store here selling for i think you must have saved yourself a pretty penny.

What about a draw or two, or are you going put some neat storage space in the bottom for all the samll fishy stuff.?
    cheers

Wish that we had a Lowes around here but I usually deal with Reimers or PJ whites ( local suppliers to the cabinet shops) But I didn't plan ahead and thought what the hey it is just one sheet and ... Looking at the laminations just opened my eyes. i usually have 8-10 laminations and this stuff only had 5 and the materials look like crap. I have bought the cheap stuff before for low end cabinet jobs when i could get the sheets for 25 bucks ( that was worth it as you do get what you pay for).

The feet were an after thought I was shooting for the squashed ball looking foot origially as I thought it would look funny with the weight and all of the tank but This just happened to catch my fancy when I was turning it.

I did look at the tank stands that they sell in the stores and they make theirs with K3 ( partical board) and that was for a 120 gallon tank. I shuddered at the thought of that idea around an aquarium. I wanted something that would last and be attractive and pleasent to look at for hrs.

the three spaces under the stand are ... One for the pump/filter, one for all the fishy stuff like food and extra filters... The center one is reserved as a display case. Maybe books or something that I turn or ...

I am also looking for some cheap knock off port holes /mirrors to hang on the doors when I get them built. Maybe some small ones for the top of the case. I might even make some up out of wood just to give it that nautical look.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Drew...these would look great on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Antique-Bra...item23097f023c

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    Drew...these would look great on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-Antique-Bra...item23097f023c
    Thanks Don for passing it on but I think they are just a bit too big. I already have one off my wifes old boat that is about that size.

Well the kids came over today and gave me a hand moving and lifting the stand and tank into place. Fit like a glove and after some fitting of hoses and a good cleaning I will get the gravel in it and fill it up tomorow. Now the doors and shelves and the top to build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aquarium stand 009.JPG  

Looks great...makes our cheap one look, well, cheap.

I see your cat (in the background), already has his eyes on it

Yea Sharon I looked at the ones that they sell and I wouldn't think about putting 90 gallons of water on one of those. Just filled it today and am conditioning the water for the transfer of fish.

Oh and the cats ( 3 cats and one shnauzer) One male cat is the outdoors wanderer that keeps the rodent and bird population in control. One is the female with siamese and likes to talk back when talked too The little princess (she rules the roost wiith all the others as they are afraid of her) and we have a male feral cat that is afraid of his own shadow and hides most of the time. ( that is him in the pic). Skipper our Shauzer, son of a national champion but has an under bite so no shows for him. He is getting old (14) and having a few "accidents" these days as I think he has forgotten how to bark.