Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auction 8-28

Auction 8-28

well I selected the right auction to attend.

Picked up this scrapper and 2 braces for $5

Stanley block plane, #17 I think, width is 2". $5 it does have the wrong blade in it. It has a narrow Millers Falls blade.

"Another" 6-C #20 type 16 from what I can tell real quick, $20. This could also be a put together plane as some of the stuff doesn't add up.

Disston type 12(?) great shape, thinking 1896-1917 era, $10

Good for you Steve, now you have some more tools and some restoration work to do. That saw looks great!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

What's "put-together" on the #6? It all looks pretty much authentic to me - except maybe for a blade change.

As for a blade change, almost any time a workman or shop had more than one plane of a size, the blades would get interchanged. When 'sharpening day' came, apprentices would sharpen everything in sight, and perhaps the blade from a 4˝ would end up in a 6, or a 7. Next time out, the'd end up in yet different planes. After a few sharpenings, nobody ever remembered what iron went where, as long as they all fit, and worked.

Actually, that happens in my own shop. I often sharpen several plane irons at once - most commonly the #4/#5 size (2" wide. I have at least a dozen planes in this size.) - and they may or may not go back exactly where they came from.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

your doing good steve,,your gonna need that extra room real soon ,,you wont have room to turn around in the old shop
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Jim I thought the orange was wrong for that type. I was thinking the orange was type 18? Learning as I go, so point me in the right direction.

are you talking the lever cap? is it a kidney or a slot? it does look like a new model no patent dates on it that i can see
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Kidney slot. When I get done with this ton of algebra, I will look into it farther.

Great haul there Steve. I like the Disston saw. That looks as though it will clean up well.

Jim thanks for the interesting story re the blades. I have often wondered about that.

So Steve i am curious when you gonna stop buying? You surely got plenty of users by now.
    cheers

Steve,

Algebra is most important for you right now...

If you can keep up with the practice work, homework, lectures then when it is over you will say "That was not too bad" or at least that was what I hoped my students would say (from CFCC).
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    So Steve i am curious when you gonna stop buying? You surely got plenty of users by now.

Rob Rob Rob, don't cha know he's addicted. He'll never get enough, one leads to another and another. Right now he can get buy with a fix on the weekends but pretty soon he'll be needing a fix mid week and eventually,... well it aint a pretty sight.

Steve repeat after me, "My name is Steve and I'm a hand tool addict"
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward