Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Router Table Build - Complete

Router Table Build - Complete

So many years in the making it's hard to say how long this has been on my "want to" list. never the less, many months ago I purchased the lift and router for this project. This past week I dug through my scraps to see what I would still need to purchase in order to get it done (only 1 sheet of 3/4" ply and 1 sheet of 3/4" MDF - everything else will come from the stock on hand).

I started with the top. Double thickness 3/4" MDF. Following the "Norm" plan for dimensions, I cut, glued, screwed, and then weighed it down on the saw table to try and have everything dry flat. Seems to have worked pretty well. Lots of screws - probably overkill.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	48740

Getting the two long edges parallel was easy. To get the short sides square to the long I tacked on a runner that I set square and used that to cross cut one end.

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	48741

Then came some oak edging. 3/4" thick and set slightly proud of both top and bottom so I could go back later with a flush trim bit.

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	48742

I then transferred all the information about the layout to the top using painter's tape. Didn't want to cut into any of those screws.

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	48743

Using some scrap melamine I set guides for the router snug to the base plate and attached them with double stick tape. Then some filler to help support the router. This I learned from Stu, but rather than use spacers to provide an offset to use with a collar, I went with a top bearing flush trim bit - knowing I would probably mess up the spacing using a collar.

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	48744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	48745

Then came the fiasco of the router plate cut out described in another thread. The idea worked perfectly, I just used the wrong diameter bit.

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	48746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	48747

Later today I'll begin rough cutting cabinet parts. One variation from the "Norm" plan is that I will not use a toe kick because my cabinet will be on locking casters rather than feet.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 09-19-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

looks like it all came out fine just alittel to much in the corners rennie,, couldnt resist.. been of line and needed to get my licks in while i could..like the green colored laminate.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    looks like it all came out fine just alittel to much in the corners rennie,, couldnt resist.. been of line and needed to get my licks in while i could..like the green colored laminate.
    It was on sale and slipperier than the white. The downside is I won't be able to put pencil marks on it.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    It was on sale and slipperier than the white. The downside is I won't be able to put pencil marks on it.
    that does bring up a good point rennie i to use pencil marks on mine to put in said postion or to sneak up to a final cut...must be a alternative to this???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    that does bring up a good point rennie i to use pencil marks on mine to put in said postion or to sneak up to a final cut...must be a alternative to this???
    I'm using a combo T-track miter slot and there will be 3 T-tracks on the fence - one each side and 1 up on top. Plenty of opportunity for homemade stop blocks using all those nice Lee Valley knobs Rob pointed out.

www.wrworkshop.com

Well Rennie its looking great. Minor mishaps are part of the equation.

I am having my own battle with a pair of butler hinges. But the Router Ladies book is the way to go.. Carol has me looking at this router stuff a whole new way and boy its sure started a lot of things going in my shop.

You gonna put Rockler blue tracks in or plain vanilla ali grey?

You sure patient guy having had that lift for all this time and not put it to work. Dont think i would have lasted that long

One question that i have that has come up with me using my table and its LV cheapo insert. When you have a brass ring in the center to support the bit or whatever inset is used on the fancy lifts, what happens when you want to crank your router up to change bits. I presume this can be done in the table. Does the insert just lift out or is it like the brass rings that are screwed in.

Best of luck with the rest of your build. Gonna be exciting when you fire it up. Hope thats not gonna be like Toms Kitchen cupboards.
    cheers

looks good to me rennie, I asked vaughn about attaching it to my tablesaw a year ago, for an idea, and I havent even thought about starting to get the stuff I need. Ive been following you along with the lift you purchased a while back.

Nice looking router lift too. Should be a sweet table when you get it done!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

thats on my short list of things to build. looking good.

Faith, Hope & Charity

Your Parable of the Prodigal Procrastinator promises to provide a proper public preview of a potential professional's preferences for this project. Pretty presumptuous of me, but perhaps preliminary praise should be proffered?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com