So many years in the making it's hard to say how long this has been on my "want to" list. never the less, many months ago I purchased the lift and router for this project. This past week I dug through my scraps to see what I would still need to purchase in order to get it done (only 1 sheet of 3/4" ply and 1 sheet of 3/4" MDF - everything else will come from the stock on hand).
I started with the top. Double thickness 3/4" MDF. Following the "Norm" plan for dimensions, I cut, glued, screwed, and then weighed it down on the saw table to try and have everything dry flat. Seems to have worked pretty well. Lots of screws - probably overkill.
Getting the two long edges parallel was easy. To get the short sides square to the long I tacked on a runner that I set square and used that to cross cut one end.
Then came some oak edging. 3/4" thick and set slightly proud of both top and bottom so I could go back later with a flush trim bit.
I then transferred all the information about the layout to the top using painter's tape. Didn't want to cut into any of those screws.
Using some scrap melamine I set guides for the router snug to the base plate and attached them with double stick tape. Then some filler to help support the router. This I learned from Stu, but rather than use spacers to provide an offset to use with a collar, I went with a top bearing flush trim bit - knowing I would probably mess up the spacing using a collar.
Attachment 48744Attachment 48745
Then came the fiasco of the router plate cut out described in another thread. The idea worked perfectly, I just used the wrong diameter bit.
Attachment 48746Attachment 48747
Later today I'll begin rough cutting cabinet parts. One variation from the "Norm" plan is that I will not use a toe kick because my cabinet will be on locking casters rather than feet.