Thread: 1/4 - 20 jig parts a real deal at Lee Valley

1/4 - 20 jig parts a real deal at Lee Valley

Well i just got back from the HD I hate that store. Needed a few knobs 1/4 - 20 type. Well scraped what they had together then got the rest of the screws etc i wanted and hi tailed it home.

On the way home i got to thinking about the deal i saw a while back at Lee Valley and did not take advantage of at the time.

Well i looked it up and all i can say is i have ordered a kit.

I paid $4.29CDN +13% for a plastic knob at HD

The kit is here and costs $35 CDN +13% for me, but there are 26 Knobs in it besides 10 little ones and t bolts etc. So at even without the bolts and other accessories my knobs would have cost me $1.35 +tax at LV.

I guess you know where my knobs are going ..........yeah right back to HD they can have em back at that price.

This kit is a real deal but they a special buy so there aint no more of the 5/16 left but i already have those.

If you build your own jigs get em now before you regret it like me.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Well i just got back from the HD I hate that store. Needed a few knobs 1/4 - 20 type. Well scraped what they had together then got the rest of the screws etc i wanted and hi tailed it home.

On the way home i got to thinking about the deal i saw a while back at Lee Valley and did not take advantage of at the time.

Well i looked it up and all i can say is i have ordered a kit.

I paid $4.29CDN +13% for a plastic knob at HD

The kit is here and costs $35 CDN +13% for me, but there are 26 Knobs in it besides 10 little ones and t bolts etc. So at even without the bolts and other accessories my knobs would have cost me $1.35 +tax at LV.

I guess you know where my knobs are going ..........yeah right back to HD they can have em back at that price.

This kit is a real deal but they a special buy so there aint no more of the 5/16 left but i already have those.

If you build your own jigs get em now before you regret it like me.
    Nicki's Ideas are every bit as good, cheaper and take less time than the trip to HD...no to mention the trip to take them back...
    However that is a really good kit for the price at Lee Valley!

I bought one of each when the email first came as I use both sizes depending on the stress on the jig. You can buy a set with not quite as many pieces from Rockler and others for $79.00.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Jig parts

www.usplastic.com is another good source for knobs that won't break the bank.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    McMaster Carr

qty 1-9 $1.22 ea.
    qty 10 or more $1.10
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hans View Post
    www.usplastic.com is another good source for knobs that won't break the bank.
    Wow Charles, that site's sure got a wide variety of stuff, and the prices on the few things I checked were definitely lower than I'm used to seeing for similar items. Thanks for the link.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Knobs

Yes Vaughn, I use them for Knobs and UHMW and Polyethelene, and PVC sheet stock and have had very good service from them for a lot of years.
    Charles

Thanks Charles thats a site and a half.
    cheers

Well i got back from LV and got lucky. Although they have taken it off their site as sold out they still had some of the 5/16 kits left, so no shortage of knobs in my workshop anymore.

Oh Charles after your prompt to that plastic store i found one and paid it a visit to purchase some 3/8 acrylic yesterday. Boy lucky for me i did not have much time in that store. It was like i hit paydirt for bits a pieces of all kinds in the plastic world. Including the correct glues and adhesives even fibre glass and epoxy.

For Canadians and to be fair to the guy who was fair to me here is a link to the store if you in the GTA area. This guy also bottles his own cyno you now what glue for penmakers in thin thicker and thick versions.

Now i am all set, have a good metal source for ally brass and steel, good plastic source and well lee valley for tools. The definition of a good source for me is one who does not see small orders as a pain in the neck or rip you off to try send you a message not to bother them.
    cheers