Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer bench

Summer bench

Hi guys, I'm back from spending two weeks of holydays at my in laws, and I used most of that time finishing a bench I started last summer.

As I haven't been posting any project lately I felt guilty and I took some pics to keep the pic police at bay.

The purpose of this bench is to avoid me carrying my workmate each summer and use that trunk space for bringing in more tools.
    Besides I needed something more sturdy and heavier to be able to work comfortably.

The wood I got was salvaged pine boards, cracked and twisted so as I coudn't use any jointer nor thicknesser I used them rough and only planed by hand finished thoses sides I needed trued for reference and the bench top at the end.

It is not a fine and precise job, but it will work, next summer I'll put a leg vise and use it a lot so, despite its poor quality and craftmanship I'm happy enough with it.

These are the legs, and they are fixed with dovetails on top and wedged tenons on the lower stretcher.
    Attachment 48757Attachment 48758
    Here I was making the wedges out of some oak scraps
    Attachment 48759
    Cutting the tenons and the slots to insert the wedges
    Attachment 48760
    Gluing the top boards. They were tongue and groove shaped.
    Attachment 48762
    The top assembly finished
    Attachment 48763
    The legs assembled and glued
    Attachment 48764
    And the finished bench, I only planed the top of it.
    Attachment 48765

Thanks for looking, comments, critics and suggestions are welcome as always.
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    That looks great Toni and I'm sure it's a darn site better then using the workmate.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Delton, Michigan
    i can see another shop thread in the making for the off time when you arent home looks great toni and much better than a shop mate would be.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I really the bench...

Wish I could see more of the surrounding area like the stone wall and house area. Really neat what I could see..

Wish I had your talent... but not to be...
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

North of Reno, NV...middle of the desert
    As a workmate/shopmate, myself, I'm a little offended However I would definitely trade me for that fine piece of work, Toni
    Last edited by Sharon Korn; 08-29-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Los Angeles, CA
    Good to have you back. I was wondering where you have been hiding.

That is a nice project and I am sure it will used to create even nicer projects.

Santa Claus, In
    Good looking bench Toni.

Indianapolis area
    That's a good looking bench; a very good use of salvaged wood.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Kansas City, Missouri
    +1 on the great looking bench Toni!

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

GTA Ontario Canada
    Great looking bench Toni. Sure looks solid and heavy. Looks like you did a breadboard end to the top? Lumber came out well where did you get it?

You put any finish on it? Is it going to be stored out of the weather? Do you have a bench like that back at home?

Sorry for all the questions just curious. I love the dovetail. Glad you back.

Hey just one thing it seems like you caught Chucks tiny picture disease while you were away.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 08-30-2010 at 01:02 AM.