Summer bench

Hi guys, I'm back from spending two weeks of holydays at my in laws, and I used most of that time finishing a bench I started last summer.

As I haven't been posting any project lately I felt guilty and I took some pics to keep the pic police at bay.;)

The purpose of this bench is to avoid me carrying my workmate each summer and use that trunk space for bringing in more tools.:)
Besides I needed something more sturdy and heavier to be able to work comfortably.

The wood I got was salvaged pine boards, cracked and twisted so as I coudn't use any jointer nor thicknesser I used them rough and only planed by hand finished thoses sides I needed trued for reference and the bench top at the end.

It is not a fine and precise job, but it will work, next summer I'll put a leg vise and use it a lot so, despite its poor quality and craftmanship I'm happy enough with it.

These are the legs, and they are fixed with dovetails on top and wedged tenons on the lower stretcher.
bench01.jpgbench02.jpg
Here I was making the wedges out of some oak scraps
bench03.jpg
Cutting the tenons and the slots to insert the wedges
bench04.jpg
Gluing the top boards. They were tongue and groove shaped.
bench07.jpg
The top assembly finished
bench18.jpg
The legs assembled and glued
bench19.jpg
And the finished bench, I only planed the top of it.
bench20.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments, critics and suggestions are welcome as always.

I really the bench...:thumb:

Wish I could see more of the surrounding area like the stone wall and house area. Really neat what I could see..

Wish I had your talent... but not to be...

Great looking bench Toni. Sure looks solid and heavy. Looks like you did a breadboard end to the top? Lumber came out well where did you get it?

You put any finish on it? Is it going to be stored out of the weather? Do you have a bench like that back at home?

Sorry for all the questions just curious. I love the dovetail. :thumb: Glad you back.:D

Hey just one thing it seems like you caught Chucks tiny picture disease while you were away.:rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Alright. Recycle and re-use. That's going to help out a lot and only get better looking with use. Glad to see you back too.

Thanks a lot for your comments girls and guys;) but it is just a rather crude bench, it will serve for it purpose for sure but nothing to boast about.

Great looking bench Toni. Sure looks solid and heavy. Looks like you did a breadboard end to the top? Lumber came out well where did you get it?

Thanks Rob, I got it at the local wasteyard, and I'm sorry to say that many of the defects don't show on the pics, in fact it has many cracks on it. Yes I made bread board ends in order to prevent it twisting even more.

You put any finish on it? Is it going to be stored out of the weather? Do you have a bench like that back at home?
No finish at all Rob, and no my bench at home is shorter, better built and with BLO finish.:)

Hey just one thing it seems like you caught Chucks tiny picture disease while you were away.:rofl::rofl:

Yes, I think it has to do with the resizer configuration I use, I have to check it out.

Last edited: