Bosch Glide Saw

Very cool. I like that its compact, but would probably wait a while to see how it holds up before I put that much down on a miter. I hardly use the one I have now and only spent $90 on it. I typically only use it for doing carpentry trim work. Any furniture trim I do on my hand miter.

Yeah, I loved the idea, but the price :eek::eek:. Will keep my "inconvenient" DeWalt slider! :thumb: But it is a great idea and neat to see inventions/upgrades for existing equipment. I remember seeing my first chop saw in 1986 the first year I taught welding and the IA guys bought it for their wood shop.

I am not sold on the "room" part of it. If you look at a picture of it. The rear fence is still way out there. I think it would still take a deep bench to operate.

Guess I really need to see one in person to find out.

Steve, this is the difference. Notice the slider rods poking out the back of the DeWalt? Notice the Bosch sitting flush to the wall yet able to cut the same width stock as the DeWalt. I really like the idea as I have struggled with ideas for mounting my SCMS permanent to a bench, for $700.00, I'll keep struggling until I find the answer because no matter how enticing the Bosch, the price drives me away.

images-1.jpg

images.jpg

But who knows what the future holds! :doh::dunno::huh::eek::rofl::rofl:

I really like the idea as I have struggled with ideas for mounting my SCMS permanent to a bench, for $700.00, I'll keep struggling until I find the answer because no matter how enticing the Bosch, the price drives me away.

Used radial arm saw? :rolleyes:

I'm actually halfway serious. I've got my FIL old radial arm saw and I can't wait to get it in the shop. I've got a 12" dewalt chop saw that works great. All I can see a sliding chop saw would give me is a little more width to cut.

But a radial arm saw seems to be pretty versatile and that you can butt right up against the wall... Of course it sticks out a bit more...

Jonathan, perhaps a bad point from me. What I am trying to get at is that the Bosch will still take a deep bench to operate. Probably not as much as a regular slider but still a deep bench. When I looked at the Hitachi slider that locked the rails and they came forward. You still needed a deep bench.

Once the saw is out and I can take a few measurements maybe I can communicate it better. I just don't see this saw saving much room.

Oh, I see what you are saying Steve, not being argumentative, heck, I am not even in the near future of buying one. The savings of space is in the back where you have to have room away from the wall for the slider to have room for the saw to go to the rear. Behind the saw you need I don't know, guessing here, 15" of space. The Bosch saves this by sitting flush to the wall. Depth, yep, if you want a saw to cut a 12" board, need a deeper bench.

Close to where I am going. I really don't know how to explain where I am going and what I am after. When I get some numbers, I hope i can make since of what I am thinking.

Right now, I am at the point in the trip where you ask for directions. The old man just looks at you and says, you can't get there from here.:rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Hitachi-SCMS.jpg
    Hitachi-SCMS.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 23
Glenn, I had never seen that before!! Exactly the problem I have pondered with my DeWalt. That is a slick setup. Wonder if anyone here has it or has used it??? Thanks for sending that!!:thumb::thumb:

Don't know anyone that has one. And that guard in front of the slide tubes is not metal.:thumb:

Attachments

• tn_sawpump 004.JPG
    tn_sawpump 004.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 34
  • tn_sawpump 005.JPG
    tn_sawpump 005.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 32
  • tn_sawpump 006.JPG
    tn_sawpump 006.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 29
  • tn_sawpump 007.JPG
    tn_sawpump 007.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 30
I have the same hitachi scms as Chuck and its very accurite. Paid about $500 for mine and got a free router with it. I crosscut all my faceframes for my kitchen cabinets and the stiles and rails for the doors and everything came out square when I assembled them.

My saw isn't the electronic adjustable model & costs only $300 at Costco & I got a free 2.5 HP router too.

Yes Jonathon it is accurate & powerful Yes behind the plastic insignia are the bars. Cost effective? It's my hobby.

Last edited: