Selective Woodworking ??

Ben Roman

Hello All,

I have a question. Actually I have several. Is there a such thing as selective woodworking. I have had a closet remodel lurking in the background for about 3 months or so. The LOML is looking for drawers, additional hanging bars, shoe cubbies, and all that fun stuff. I really am considering going to the Borg and buying the kits to make this happen. I am sure you all have see the " Some assembly required" kits that they sell that will make the closet into the "Super Closet". Does this make me a woodworking hipocrite. I really don't find any satisfaction in making my own cabinets for the closet and or doing any type of woodworking that is not recreational. I will however make a cabinet for a toolbox that I have in mind. Is that wierd? I don't mind doing these types of projects if they can be done quickly and I can go back to making my furniture pieces or whatever I feel like making. Are you really saving any money doing it yourself?

Feedback is appreciated.

Ben

IMHO, there are a number of "some assembly required" projects that are less expensive (and much faster) than building your own. I don't think it's hipocracy; it's practicality.

My advice would be to buy the DIY closet kit, so you have more time for building something you'll enjoy creating from scratch.

Hey Ben,
What you call "Selective Woodworking" just sounds like smart woodworking to me.:thumb:

Life is too short to waste on stuff you don't want to do! I pick woodworking projects that will build a skill I'm working on or help me learn a new technique - easy for me because I have soooo much to learn:rofl:

Some of the guys at the forum recently pulled me out of the "obligatory woodworking" quicksand. I felt obliged to rebuild a piece I built a long time ago because a tenon was loose. The gang wisely said, shoot some epoxy in there, do it now, and move on to better things! Thanks Guys:thumb:

I have outfitted closets both with kits and by building everything myself –probably about 10 of each. The kits have the benefit of being faster. The do-it-yourself jobs have the benefit of being better made and better customized.

I selected to go with the off-the-shelf units. I installed 2 of them in less than a day. That evening I got in some shop time.:D I "selected" to use my time wisely, IMHO.:D :thumb: :D

What's more important, trying to be a purist woodworker.... or putting something together, even a kit, that solves a problem and makes your wife happy:thumb:?

:huh:

I'd haul rear to the borg and grab the screwdriver......

:rofl:

I find no problem buying something that I don't want to make. My time in the shop is considered "mine" so I only do the things I want. I run into this alot when it comes time to make/buy jigs, I prefer to buy them unless they are just too expensive.

I have outfitted closets both with kits and by building everything myself –probably about 10 of each. The kits have the benefit of being faster. The do-it-yourself jobs have the benefit of being better made and better customized.
And, I should have said, usually the do-it-yourself jobs are less expensive.

But, everything I have said about closet shelving applies to almost all the things in your house. You probably don't have the time to make everything, so sometimes you need to buy stuff made by others.

I am of the opposite school from most. I find that what is offered off the shelf is substandard and not really what LOML or I want or if I were to order it custom I am better able to do it my self. In my new house we purposely left a lot of things out. These I will build since I am picky about what I will have. The walk in closet in the Master bedroom is a good example. We elected to have the builder put in what they consider standard and I already have planned as to what it will look like when it is built out. The laundry is also just basic and I will build the cabinets the way we want them. Fortunately (or unfortunately) LOML has found that generally I can do it better and more to her tastes. I would look at the ready builds from the Borg to get ideas but the design and build out would/will be mine.

BTW as an example on all of the cabinertry, the cabinet shops used pockets screws. I don't use them and really don't like them but I am not a production shop so that's just a personal preference.

Last edited:
Ben,

Thanks for the ammunition! The next time I hear any complaining about how much stuff that I build for myself instead of for the household I am going to say that I read about it on a professional woodworking forum. It is called "Selective Woodworking" and the principal must be applied or woodworkers become stale and do not do a good job. I would be willing to bet that you fall right in there with the most of us.

I say that for something that is bascially hidden away go for the prebuilt if it is just as cheap or cheaper and is adequate. Use your skills and time for something that is going to be appreicated.

Of course, if you have the time and desire, that is a whole different story.

Last edited:
Yup, anything that even smells like a "job" falls under the selective woodworking category for me. I'm on the road over 3 weeks a month so when I do get into the shop it's to decompress and relax, not work :)

Travel

Bill,

I'm with you. I was on the road 300 days last year. When I am home it is purely to decompress!

Jack